A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Tapping Noise from under valve cover in a 90 Jetta (sorry no A4 content, but please help me!)...

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-1999, 09:22 AM
Joey

Default Tapping Noise from under valve cover in a 90 Jetta (sorry no A4 content, but please help me!)...

sorry it's on the wrong forum, but i know most people read this one. i have a 1990 jetta gl w/82k miles. and it runs fine. gets good mileage, never overheats, good power. but there is a tapping noise coming from the engine that sounds like a bomb counting down. it seems to be coming from the cam or something. i have the 1.8 sohc. i just changed the valve cover gasket today and everything looked fine under there. maybe the noise is coming from somewhere else?<br>please help me!<br>thanks, -joey<p>ps the tapping noise is proportional to engine speed<p>99.5 A4 1.8qm Autothority, lltek grill, etc...<p><br>
Old 07-08-1999, 09:36 AM
Mike

Default Re: Tapping Noise from under valve cover in a 90 Jetta (sorry no A4 content, but please help me!)...

Hey Joey,<br>Usually a tapping noise in that area is a lifter tap. There is too much clearance between the lifter and rocker arm. Usually caused by wear on the parts. May be able to fix by a proper valve adjustment or may require parts replacement.
Old 07-08-1999, 09:42 AM
Audiboy

Default Could be something else, not lifters IMO

As far as I remember, 2.0L VW's use a cam over sheam/valve design eliminating rocker arms. This design is less prone to lifter noise - unless the gap is really massive which will cause loss of power at high rpm but still run smooth at idle. Maybe injectors? Has the noise been gradually increasing?<p>It's time for a 1.8T transplant :-)
Old 07-08-1999, 10:00 AM
ALD

Default Check your oil level...

The sound you discribe is similar to a sound last year when my Saturn ran out of oil. Fortunately I check the oil level at one point. My best suggestion, check the oil level.
Old 07-08-1999, 10:04 AM
steve l o

Default Motor has hydraulic lifters...

More likely than not, one of your lifters is going bad. Pretty easy to replace. Get a Bentley manual and go for it. Part should be pretty reasonable to buy. Could take like two-three hours to replace on your own. The tricky part is figuring out which one it is.<p>Steve
Old 07-08-1999, 10:30 AM
Audiboy

Default good point, but i would like to add..

if oil level is not an issue as it could be easily checked, it could be the oil pressure. If you don't have a pressure gauge, run the car briefly without valve cover to see if oil is circulating around. Don't worry, if you keep the car idling for a few seconds only, you won't spill oil all over the place. Make sure oil and filter are in good condition, and if no oil pressure, yikes, the oil pump.
Old 07-08-1999, 10:37 AM
ALD

Default An even better point, and more...

Then again, it could be none of the above, but the first thing that I would look at when I hear a ticking noise in a car is what is the oil level, and then the oil pressure.
Old 07-08-1999, 11:35 AM
Joey

Default Re: An even better point, and more...

well, the oil level is good. as for the pressure i don't know. i don't know if the 1.8l 8-vavle has hydraulic lifters. it sure sounds like the cam could be tapping a lifter. but i don't know. it doesn't overheat, even in the 100 degree heat wave with the a/c on we had in nj the last few days. this kind of leads me to believe the oil pressure is ok, but thanks for the suggestions. -joey