A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

For Tech Support guys. (Long)

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2001, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default For Tech Support guys. (Long)

I love the Audi A4(For content)

Dear Tech Support

Dear Tech Support: I am currently running the latest version of GirlFriend and have been having some problems lately. I have been running the same version of DrinkingBuddies 1.0 as my primary application, and all the GirlFriend releases I have tried have always conflicted with it. I hear that DrinkingBuddies will not crash if GirlFriend is run in background mode and the sound is turned off. However, I am embarassed to say I can not find the switch to turn the sound off. I have resorted to running them separately, and it seems to work okay.

GirlFriend also seems to have a problem coexisting with my Golf 3.0 program, often trying to abort Golf with some sort of timing incompatibility. I probably should have stayed with GirlFriend 1.0 but I thought I might see better proformance from GirlFriend 2.0. After months of conflicts and other problems, I consulted a friend who has had experience with GirlFriend 2.0. He said I probably did not have enough cache to run GirlFriend 2.0, and eventually it would require a Token Ring to run properly. He was right. As soon as I purged my cache, GirlFriend 2.0 uninstalled itself. Shortly after that, I installed GirlFriend 3.0 Beta Version. All the bugs were supposed to be gone, but the first time I used it, it gave me a virus anyway. I had clean out my whole system and shut down for a while. I very cautiously upgraded to GirlFriend 4.0. This time I used a SCSI probe first and installed the virus-protection program. It worked okay for a while until I discovered that GirlFriend 1.0 was still in my system. I tried running GirlFriend 1.0 again with GirlFriend 4.0 still installed, but GirlFriend 4.0 has a feature I didn't know about that automatically senses the presence of any other version of GirlFriend and communicates with it in some way, resulting in the immediate removal of both versions. The version I have now works pretty well, but there are still some problems. Like all versions of GirlFriend, it is written in some obscure language I cannot understand, much less reprogram. Frankly, I think there is too much attention paid to the look and feel rather than the desired functionality. Also, to get the best connections with your hardware, you usually have to use gold-plated contacts. In addition, I have never liked how GirlFriend is totally object oriented.

A year ago, afriend of mine upgraded his version of GirlFriend to GirlFriend Plus 1.0, which is a terminate and Stay Resident version of GirlFriend. He discovered that GirlFriend Plus 1.0 expires within a year if you do not upgrade to Fiancee 1.0. So he did, but soon after that, he had to upgrade to Wife1.0, which he describes as a huge resource hog. It has taken up all his space, so he connot load anything else. And although he did not ask for it, Wife 1.0 came with a MotherIn-Law, which has an automatic pop-up feature he connot turn off. I told him to try installing Mistress 1.0, but he said he heard if you try to run Mistress 1.0 before uninstalling Wife 1.0, Wife 1.0 will delete all of your MSMoney files before uninstalling itself. Then Mistress one will not install anyway because of insufficent resources.

Looking for advice on how to sort this all out.
Old 08-28-2001, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 08-28-2001, 08:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Id definately stay away from GF PLus 1 for now....

I think it be a hell of alot easier on your harddrive to stick w/ Drunkinbuddies and Golf 3.0 for now. This way you wont have the reflects of all your GF programs. You can pick up an easy to run GF 4.2 prog. from you local main steet for half the price it would cost to keep all other progs running,(and you dont need the Gold-plated connectors you would with the rest of them). Keep you HD open to new GF porgs that come and go. Dont stick with one at a time or your HD will crash along w/ all you MSMoney files. LOL!
Old 08-28-2001, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Hahahaha good one.....