A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Test drive of A4 1.8T Quattro

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2000, 02:20 PM
Igor

Default Test drive of A4 1.8T Quattro

Hi everybody:

Just wanted to share my feelings about test
driving a new A4 1.8T Quatrro with tiptronic. I know that people in this topic most likely have their own herd of oooo horses parked in garage.

Well overall I was really impressed. First because the dealer took me to the "real" test drive, not the "around dealership" one. We went down to the small road with many turns, downhills and uphills. Car was very stable and I felt very confident steering the wheel...

Then the sales man showed me a small empty parking lot covered with snow. All what he told me was: "Just press the accel and do not touch the wheel". Boy! This car have soul! This is not like driving Acura or any other crap. It actually return all what you ask for. I did police 180 degree turn without problems and I feel the car, I feel the every one from 4 wheels spinning under me. Great! The only part I did not like is engine at lower rpms. After about 4000 it is nice, but before then it's kinda tweaky. I hope performance chips are out yet for the 2000 year models. But anywho! The price I was able to negotiate is
28600$ which is about 5% more then factory invoice (including all options). Probably I need to shop around more before I buy one. What is respectable audi community have to say about it?

Thanks,
Igor
email: ifedulov@outlook.net<ul><li><a href="http://www.outlook.net/~ifedulov">My never finished home page...</a></li></ul>
Old 02-05-2000, 04:58 PM
Denver J

Go for it, don't think you will regret it... I think the engine is much livelier with the 5 spd.
Old 02-05-2000, 06:12 PM
betsyc

Default Re: Go for it, don't think you will regret it... I think the engine is much livelier with the 5 spd.

I, too, am contemplating getting an A4. My main concern is with repair expenses once the warranty period is over. I've been driving a Volvo turbo wagon for 11 years. I need a 5-speed with excellent handling and ability to get through the snow and cold in this godforsaken wilderness. Do you, or anyone else, have a comment about the reliability and upkeep costs on the A4? Repairs on the Volvo are running about $300 everytime it goes into the ship! Don't want to pay that much if I can avoid it. Thanks!
Old 02-05-2000, 06:15 PM
betsyc

Default Re: Typo on my previous posting

Oops! The Volvo doesn't have to go into "the ship."
I'm sure that would be even more expensive!
Old 02-05-2000, 10:52 PM
Hutch

Aa tip more lively than a 5-sp..come on now..No Way!
Old 02-06-2000, 04:54 AM
Igor

Default Re: Go for it, don't think you will regret it... I think the engine is much livelier with the 5 spd.

HI:

Well I thought about feature and I will probably go with Warranty Gold bumper to bumber for around 2500$ 100K/7years. Audi it self have warranty for the same period (aka extended manuf warranty), but it is only for powertrain, which means that if somthing happenes to your inside parts (like gauges) you are on your own. And more over that 'extended' warranty goes for 2K from audi, so plus 500 and you get full coverage from warranty gold even without deductible.

Igor
Old 02-06-2000, 07:48 AM
Steve S.

Default Honest response

Betsy...like everything...there is a bell shaped curve on responses you will get. I had an A4 until it reached 50,000 miles...and ended up at the dealer for a number of issues...all resolved to my satisfaction. All of this was under the warranty period. If you are a person that holds onto cars for 10+ years..you will be in for some repairs...no matter what car you have. Audi's share a lot of the parts bin with VW automobiles...so a lot of time you can get parts for decent prices. Clair Parts Express in Boston give internet discounts to audiworld.com posters. That is a place I would become very familar with.

You might want to get the car..and then get a comprehensive 'extended' warranty on it. It will probably pay for itself.

I, personally, change cars every 2-3 years and don't ever buy an extended warranty. I don't get all worked up on how the car is gonna be in 5,7, or 9 years from now.

BTW, there are lots of independent audi repair shops that can do repairs less expensively than the dealerships. However, if you are in an area that doesn't have any...the dealer is the place to go. I compiled a list of independent shops that our Audi club members can go to here in Northern California. I would contact an A4 owner in your area to determine if they recommend any shops in your area.

Good luck...the cars are fantastic.

Steve S.
00 S4
NorCal Audi Club
http://www.norcalaudiclub.org
Old 02-06-2000, 01:46 PM
Denver J

See my post a couple pages back about Audi reliability or email me