A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

test drove 1.8tq - NEED ADVICE!

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-1999, 06:56 PM
ME

Default test drove 1.8tq - NEED ADVICE!

After being in the new car market (and reading a4.org) for a while, I finally got around to a test drive. I'll skip the details on what I though of the test drive and the comparison between my current car and the a4 (I currently drive a mitsu GSX auto), but I've decided to get the 1.8tq (all options except trip- most likely manual but I did like the TIP and do a lot of city driving...)<p>Here is wait I need advise on:<br>The dealer didn't have exactly what I wanted on the lot, but told me that they could locate what I wanted (or very close to it) and have it delivered within a *week*! They did mention a ~$250 delevery fee to do this. But based on the numerous posts about long waits, this claim seems like total BS to me. I realize they were talking about finding one alreay stateside vs placing an order to have one built, but can I take them seriously on this??!?!
Old 06-09-1999, 07:05 PM
Mark

Default Re: test drove 1.8tq - NEED ADVICE!

Tell the dealer to find the car that you want, and see what he comes up with. That's what I did, but my dealer couldn't find anything remotely close to what I wanted. It's not like it was an odd ball combo, 1.8TQMS, sun, Santorin/Opal. So I had him order one and waited 3 months and a week for one to come in. It wasn't a factory order, I think he screwed up the order and found one from another dealer, but it came with the Bose package.<p>So now I have the exact car I wanted, plus the free Bose, which is fine by me!<p>Anyway, see what he can find for you, the wait is definitely painful, but it's well worth it. But ofcourse, it'll be even better if you could have it sooner!<p>HTH,<br>Mark
Old 06-10-1999, 05:01 AM
Warren

Default Re: test drove 1.8tq - NEED ADVICE! - my experience

Well, to give you my experience with this... my salesmen told me that they could easily find the exact car I wanted and get it to me within a week or two... I was pretty skeptical about this but he reassured me that they'd have no problem finding it... then he calls me a few days later and tells me they found the car. However, three days later he calls again and tells me that they didn't find it and that it would take about a month or so before the exact one I want gets in... but at that point, I didn't want to risk having to wait forever for the car, so I just got the car that they had on the lot (the only thing "wrong" with it was that it had the Bose system).
Old 06-10-1999, 09:26 AM
DRF

Default Here's what you do ...

Go ahead and let the dealer look for a car with the options you want. Once they get it if they mention the $250 delivery fee, tell them that almost offsets your $500 satisfied customer fee. Once he finishes laughing and finds out you weren't kidding, I bet you a day-old-doughnut that they drop it.<p>Charging people to sell cars to them - sheesh!<p>