A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Test drove a MY2000 328Ci last night...

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-1999, 07:27 AM
Shabbis

Default Test drove a MY2000 328Ci last night...

Stats: MY2000 BMW 328Ci with "Steptronic" transmission and all the goodies but the sports package. Selling price $40,600.

<i>(I got some coupon in the mail stating that if I am one of the first 150 to test drive a BMW at this dealer, I get a $100 gift certificate for Nike merchandise.)</i>

First off, great car. Handles like a dream. It has all sorts of features, like four vented disc brakes and some kind of deal where it adjusts braking in turns accordingly to keep you on the road. All sorts of other advanced technology stuff too, like an in-dash HK six disc changer. It was a solid car. The standard suspension was very tight, I can't imagine just how rough the sports suspension is, that would annoy me for an everyday car.

I was amazed just how much the inline 6 sounded and felt like the A4's V6 from the inside. The steptronic was nice, but I would of preferred a manual. The body painted side panels make the car a lot cleaner looking, more like the A4. I don't like the new front end with that new grill, again personal opinion.

The major drawback and this was a major drawback for me personally, was the techno-interior. Too many lights and gadgets for me. I was confused for half the test drive. Just too many buttons, gauges and such. It felt like the cockpit of a 747 and gauge placement was very annoying. Seemed like just too many things that could go wrong down the road. The steering wheel buttons where VERY annoying. I mean, the stereo is a couple inches away, why do I need buttons that light up on the steering wheel? Just too many gadgets for my taste. I prefer the simple elegance of the A4 (and Mercedes). Again, personal opinion.

The engine compartment looked like a pot of Bavarian Goulash. Wires, tubes and hoses everywhere. Not very elegant on BMW's behalf. I know, the car is made for driving, not looking at. The car also had quite a few rattles in the cockpit area with only 17 miles on it. I wasn't impressed.

Also, the Mercedes dealership here in town was opening a new location and I went to the grand opening party last night too. I did get to check out a MY1999 C280 Sport, cost: $41,000. Very nice car. Very solid. I didn't get to drive it. But it reminded me of the A4 a lot more than the BMW did. A better thought out interior like the A4. A good blend of art and technology. No manual though, which really chaps my hide. Come on Mercedes, get with the program.

After seeing these new cars, I am still glad of my decision to go with the A4. The A4 felt a lot like the 328Ci, a little more lose in the steering, but that's about it. Acceleration, engine sound and overall feel of the road were very close. If I were to compare it to the other "two popular German car makers": The A4 was a nice blend of Mercedes elegance and BMW technology and sportiness. And a $7,000 better deal too.
Old 10-01-1999, 07:36 AM
anne

Default I drove the 328ci a month ago and found it to be a great ride... agree with you on the interior...

enjoyed driving the manual... the traction control is quite impressive, but no match for quattro.
Old 10-01-1999, 07:49 AM
SteveC

Your very last sentence best sums up what sets Audi apart from its competition.
Old 10-01-1999, 07:57 AM
Shabbis

Default Excatly, why pay more for the same stuff? Besides the *image factor*.

nt
Old 10-01-1999, 08:00 AM
agree!!

Yes sir..... exactly.
Old 10-01-1999, 08:32 AM
Ali B

Default The Ci's come standard with sport suspension ....

I agree with you on the interior. My brother has a '99 323i with gray leather and wood trim. This combiantion is probably the best one BMW offers, but I still prefer the 2.8 A4's interior, especially after the '99.5 update to the center console area. The black upper dash section on the BMW looks out of place on anything but a black interior. It looks like a cost-cutting measure (using the same dash piece for all interiors). Also, the quality of plastics is a notch or two below what Audi/VW use these days.
Old 10-01-1999, 08:47 AM
Mark P

Forgot to add in the cost of BMW's AWD....oh wait, doh!
Old 10-01-1999, 08:59 AM
I've been looking

The sport packages are options.
Old 10-01-1999, 09:14 AM
Ash

Default Yes, but the sport susp. is NOT part of the package ....

...it is standard on the car.

-Ash
98.5 1.8TQMS
Old 10-01-1999, 03:45 PM
MarkF

Default Drove a 328 before buying my A4 2.8Q (longish)

Very impressive handling. Drove hard into a onramp with posted speed of 30KM/h at 70km/h and floored it out of the corner. Zero body roll and it stuck like it was on rails.

I drove the A4 again the same day to try and get a relative comparison. Around town the BMW was too harsh a ride. The A4 has more body roll around corners (even with the sport package) but the quattro just kicks *** in the corners and is a lot more supple over harsh city streets. The road feel is still there, but you hear it rather than feel it.

I also preferred the A4 interior and the price difference made it a not brainer. I'm stillloving the car two weeks later.

Mark

Quick Reply: Test drove a MY2000 328Ci last night...