A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Is there any benefit to going with a larger diameter...

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Is there any benefit to going with a larger diameter...

downpipe and stock exhaust?

I currently have a Magnaflow high flow cat and there is a leak in the flange that attaches to the turbo...I have to remove the cat to have it re-welded and would like put in a larger diameter down pipe while I have everything apart.

A few questions though,

-I've seen 2.5" diameter and 3" diameter DP's any suggestions on which diameter to go with?

-I would be attaching it to my stock exhaust (I just don't have the $$ right now to do a whole aftermarket exhaust) anyone see problems with using a reducer to attach the DP to the stock exhaust or does anyone know of a company that makes a large diameter DP that comes with necessary parts to tie into the stock exhaust?

-I am running an APR chip(KO3 turbo) and this is the third time that I have blown a Cat flange, my thinking is too much back pressure from the exhaust and maybe a larger DP would help this?? Or is it a waste of money to put in a new DP without a full exhaust?

I'd appreciate any input...
Thanks!
Old 05-21-2009, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can't help you with Audi experience on this, but many

posters on saabnet (my other car is a SAAB 9000) have done the larger downpipe with stock exhaust on their cars; they report that the larger downpipe gives the most bang for the buck, faster spoolup, etc., much more effect than a larger exhaust with a stock downpipe.
Old 05-21-2009, 04:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

You may have broken motor mounts if you keep blowing the flanges - 2.5 DP is about all you'll need or see any gains from with a K03. Even then it's minimal.

If you need to replace it anyway then go ahead but the gains will be slight. Maybe a little seat of the pants quicker spool up on the turbo.

The back pressure is NOT blowing the flange. You have too much movement somewhere - either in the motor mounts/trans mounts or the exhaust itself is not supported correctly.

Waste of money.... meh, maybe but not certainly. Depends on your driving style and future thoughts on upgrades.

For the $$ it's hard to beat a full cat back Borla exhaust and seeing as they have a "lifetime" warranty it's worth thinking about since if nothing else the flex joints do tend to crap out pretty often on these cars.
Old 05-21-2009, 04:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

This is generally true of all turbo/SC'ed cars & trucks.