A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Is there a bulb behind the odometer/tripmeter?.... more

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-1999, 05:20 AM
Peter

Default Is there a bulb behind the odometer/tripmeter?.... more

The gauge that registers the mileage and distance since last reset seems to have died. Is this a LED matrix which has broken or just a bulb behind the digits?

It would be handy to know this before Friday as the car is booked in for some other warranty work and if it's not just a simple bulb replacement I'll get them to fix it.

Peter
Old 09-01-1999, 06:18 AM
randall

Default is there bulb for climate control too? mine is dark now i want to fix mysefl

don't want those pesky dealers taking apart my dash again. I still had to put it back together properly after their last excursion.

1996 a4 2.8 qm 12v

wheres my supercharger!!
Old 09-01-1999, 06:18 AM
Kevin

Default Re: Is there a bulb behind the odometer/tripmeter?.... more

If it is under warranty, have them fix it.

I recently had to replace two lights on the instrument panel - one on the top of the tach and one on top of the speedo. I do not recall if there is a light on the section you are talking about. The panel is really easy to take off. You just remove the plastic piece over the steering wheel which is held in by two clips and then there remove the two screws. The whole instrument panel can then be pulled out.
Old 09-01-1999, 06:56 AM
Peter

Aren't bulbs are excluded from the warranty?. The labour to remove the dash would therefore be chargeable, I don't want to pay 0.5hr labour to fit a 50c bulb.

I'll have a look at it tonight.

Peter
Old 09-01-1999, 08:01 AM
kcraig

Default Warranty coverage for bulb replacement

My 1998 USA Warranty book specifies that brake pads, clutch disk friction material, bulbs other than headlights, blown fuses, wheel alignment, and tire balancing ARE NOT covered by the Audi Warranty. However, they ARE ALL covered by Audi Advantage.

Kevin Craig

98.5 2.8 QTip Avant
Old 09-01-1999, 08:33 AM
Ray Calvo

Default Doubt it on both counts

The mileage/trip display definitely looks like an LED; if display is dead, either power is gone or display controller is shot would be my guess. I would expect that if total display dies, it's some sort of power supply. I normally have seen LEDs die in one small section at a time (like the trip computer display).

The climate control display looks similar; LED vs. an LCD that needs separate bulb to light display. Once again, if total display goen, would expect it to be a power supply lead or the controller for the LED.
Old 09-01-1999, 09:11 AM
Kyle Bailey

I don't know exactly how the display works, but I have noticed that if the sun hits it just right, you can read the mileage even when the car is off. This suggests to me that it is an LCD display with a light source. But that is just a guess on my part.

Kyle
Old 09-01-1999, 09:13 AM
randall

Default checked with parts counter. Climate has 2 bulbs so

probably something else is gone, chances of both bulbs going is remote.

Apparently dealer just swaps out the part anyway, they don't do bulb replacement.

thankx