A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

There must be an easier way! Help removing Audi wheels?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2000, 07:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default There must be an easier way! Help removing Audi wheels?

Yesterday I was swapping the snows on my mom's A4.

Once again a few things made the job difficult.

The 7-spoke sport wheels have these little caps over the lug-bolts to make them look nice. The manual shows a U shaped tool for removing them, sort of like a DIP IC removal tool. But the toolkit only provides a piece of wire shaped like a q, totally useless IMHO.

Getting these !@#$%* caps off is about 90% of the job. Is there a better tool that is just missing from the toolkit? (part #?) Or are the caps going to "get lost" this winter ?

The lug bolts look like they had some sort of coating on the threads. I noticed they are starting to get rusty and difficult to get in/out. The manual says no grease or oil on them, what about some anti-sieze or high-temp brake caliper grease?

The wheel rusts to the hub making it very hard to remove. Any tips on this? I ended up kicking the bottom until the hub broke free then wiggling the wheel until it was free. Again, I was thinking about a thin coat of anti-sieze to this area toe help removal next time.

Thoughts? Advice? Help?

Thanks!
Steve

PS: I'm always impressed how one can jack one corner of the car up and the doors still open, the panel gaps don't change..nothing.
Old 12-03-2000, 07:55 AM

Default The U shape piece is a piece of plastic. It makes things a whole lot easier. Good Luck....

It's shaped like mini prongs.
Old 12-03-2000, 07:56 AM

Default Ah! So there is this "special tool"...Thanks!

Plastic would be less likley to scratch the wheels too!

I'll let her know to pester her dealer for a couple.
Old 12-03-2000, 08:15 AM

Default Re: There must be an easier way! Help removing Audi wheels?

my original 1.8t wheels (non sport) were the ugly 8-spokers with the center cap. when i got the A6 5 spoke replicas ( mille miglia R5 ) my lug bolts were exposed. i ordered the caps and the special "U" tool from the dealer. not expensive at all. if your mom's car is missing it, they might have it in stock. don't try a screw driver or anything to pry the covers off - it's not worth it!!! it's nearly impossible to get those suckers off with out the tool!
Old 12-03-2000, 08:52 AM
Elder Member

The "Q" shaped tool fits the cap on the 10 spoke sport wheel
Old 12-03-2000, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Re: There must be an easier way! Help removing Audi wheels?

You are totally correct. A coat of Anti-sieze on the center hub will help prevent rust and the wheel will not stick the next time. I must comment that you hid a great job of reading the manuals amd doing your research. Now once you get the "U" clip to remove the plastic lug covers and coat the center hubs your job will be a breeze.
Good job!!
Old 12-03-2000, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I've always used grease on bolts with no problems, helps torque them evenly too.
Old 12-03-2000, 09:39 AM

Default The "Q" piece of wire is easy to use!

When i took off one of my wheels, i didnt have any problems getting off the center cap. (I have the 01' sport wheels) And all that you do with the wire it stick the NON looped end into one of the many holes that line the center cap along the outside, and pull. Place your finger in the loop of the "Q" and pull. The cap comes right out. Piece of cake..

Keep it real,

-John-
Old 12-03-2000, 10:53 AM

Default I would definitely use grease on the lug bolts.

I worked at National Tire and battery, and a customer came in with an S4 which we changed tires on about 4 times a month, his hubs started stripping out all the time, so he put lugbolt grease,(not sure what kind it was) it was silver shiny stuff, hard to clean up also, but we never ran into any other problems after that.
Old 12-03-2000, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Yeah, but that doesn't help him any with the older 7-spoke sport rims.

Quick Reply: There must be an easier way! Help removing Audi wheels?