A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Thermostat

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 03:15 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thermostat

Hi can someone help me find a reason why could be my car running so cold. Could it be my thermostat being stuck or something else.

When it started getting cold, I went to Autozone and bought myself one from what they carry, but what happened was it kept overheating after, and i kept trying to air bleed but it still was going over in period of time. And i put the old one back because i wasnt happy with this one. Right when i installed the old one everything went back to what it used to be.
Attached Images  
Old 02-25-2011, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 100 Likes on 89 Posts

Avoid the AutoZone parts if actual OEM-quality parts are available. So you had the cold-running thermostat out? Was it opened a little at room temperature? It doesn't take much for the engine to not warm up. A Behr thermostat, from Autohausaz.com for instance, is less than $16.
Old 02-25-2011, 03:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

well they gave we what they had. I've spent a gallon of g12 at dealers.. I though it wasnt enough and ran out of that. Cold running thermostat was on when i got the car and its oem one, i can see on it. After that i replaced it with aftermarket one. But i tried everything and decided to go back. So you think i should but another one but oem? What about on Germanautoparts
Old 02-26-2011, 04:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Judging from your dashboard, this is a 96/98ish A4 right? If it was a little later the climate control would be able to tell you the exact temp of the coolant. See here to see what I mean.

The gauge in the dash of my 99.5 seems to have a casual relationship with reality. If I watch my climate control screen, the water goes up to 90C and never moves. Meanwhile the gauge differs depending on ambient air, girlfriend's mood, the color of my shirt........hell I dunno.

If I'm right, that your car is too early to be able to read the water temp in the climate control, it would be interesting to put a VAG-COM on it while the gauge is looking the way it does in your picture.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

I think the sensor can go bad too. You might want to look at them. On the 2.8 there are two - one for the gauge and one for the ECU. I agree with mtroxel get a Audi replacement one - they are cheap.
Old 02-26-2011, 07:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

ill post some vag com results soon. But im thinking of buying that thermostat, But only oem.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Reggie
I think the sensor can go bad too. You might want to look at them. On the 2.8 there are two - one for the gauge and one for the ECU. I agree with mtroxel get a Audi replacement one - they are cheap.
Actually there are two sensors for the Audi 90, on the 96/97 AFC A4 there is one sensor with two separate outputs (4 pins).

I think he probably has a 97 four cylinder, as swapping out thermostats is a longish job on the V6 and he has apparently already accomplished this twice.

I wonder if his parts store thermostat has a bleed vent like the OEM.

The OEM also fails open rather than closed like most aftermarket ones.
Old 02-26-2011, 01:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by AudiMick
Actually there are two sensors for the Audi 90, on the 96/97 AFC A4 there is one sensor with two separate outputs (4 pins).

I think he probably has a 97 four cylinder, as swapping out thermostats is a longish job on the V6 and he has apparently already accomplished this twice.

I wonder if his parts store thermostat has a bleed vent like the OEM.

The OEM also fails open rather than closed like most aftermarket ones.
i dont know. But the oem looked so much serious. Its bigger as well. But see its too cold in that car.
Old 02-26-2011, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by iloveyulya1
But see its too cold in that car.
If the heater's not putting out much heat and your gauge looks low, you've got a stat problem.
Old 02-26-2011, 03:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by mtroxel
If the heater's not putting out much heat and your gauge looks low, you've got a stat problem.
it was giving good heat with another thermostar. but it was overheating and even if i bleed it it still keep overheating. It was awful.

Quick Reply: Thermostat