A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Those with children, did you have trouble with the car seat fitting?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2007, 05:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Those with children, did you have trouble with the car seat fitting?

We're expecting our first around Christmas and I'm a little concern about the infant car seat fitting especially when the seat has to be turned around facing towards the back. The infant seat is probably going to be a Graco then when he's a little bit older we'll be going with a Britax.
Old 08-27-2007, 05:11 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Ask the store to let you test fit before buying.

This way you can be assured that it'll fit well.
Old 08-27-2007, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

my friend did on his A4... got rid of the car.
Old 08-27-2007, 05:34 AM

I've had no issues with either the infant or child seat in my avant
Old 08-27-2007, 05:42 AM

Default What seats did you use?

I'm not postive but I think the back seats in the avant should be the same as the sedan (area wise)
Old 08-27-2007, 05:47 AM

Default We used a Graco infant seat and I have a Graco child seat however I have

put the Britax from my wifes Volvo in there as well
Old 08-27-2007, 06:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default The Graco SnugRide fits in the center without hitting the front backs. It's very close. I'm 5'10"

but I tend to sit close. I cannot put that seat on the side, if someone is expected to sit in the front seat. So, when #2 for us comes, I can put my daughter in her forward facing seat behind me and the rear facing seat behind the pass seat, but no one is going to sit comfortably in that front pass seat. When that time comes, I think I'm getting an '02-'03 S8 or late '04-'05 A8L. Right now, the stroller (3-in-1) that came with the Graco Snugride _barely_ fits in my trunk and good luck getting anything else in around it, which there is A LOT of crap that you need to take if you're traveling further than running errands. We do all of our trips in our '04 Durango HEMI aka my tow b!tch. The S8/A8L will be left behind for the wifey to drive while I'm at track events.

Anyway... back on topic...

I highly recommend using the LATCH system, which the dealer put in for free about 2 years ago. I don't know if AoA is doing it for free, but the parts are cheap and easy DIY. You don't need/want the plastic shutes. I posted the PNs. The LATCH will be the seat tighter than using the lap or 3pt belt. To get the seat tight, strap it down, then put your knee(s) into it so that it puts all of your weight down on it and pull the belt again. Then, attach the rear belt to the LATCH on the back deck/rear window area and pull that tight.

Any of the forward facing seats are fine in any location, but always test fit since there are always new seats and models. The issue is hitting the doors, since some of the seats have cup holders (I removed them) or bulky parts of the base. The other issue is getting a seat that will recline properly. There are usually levels on the seats/bases that show you that you're within the correc range. Otherwise, when the baby falls asleep, he/she's head might fall forward instead of back or to the side(s). Also, you don't want it to lean back too far either. Babys R US type places will let you test fit seats -- usually the display models.

I highly recommend doing the 3-in-1 with a base that stays in the car, since, as an infant, he/she will be carried around a lot still in the seat. Then, when they get past that 20lbs/1 year mark, get a forward facing seat that does stage 2 and 3 -- which is 20-40lbs and then just a bolster for 40-80+lbs with the 3pt. This way, you only have to buy 2 seats and you can use a base type when they're an infant.

We found great prices at Albee Baby. It's like buying a helmet... search for what you want/$/ratings, test fit locally and buy it online cheaper.<ul><li><a href="http://www.albeebaby.com/">http://www.albeebaby.com/</a</li></ul>
Old 08-27-2007, 07:09 AM

Default I believe the SnugRide is the one we're looking at

and we'll keep a base for it in each car. Thanks for the info on the latch.
Old 08-27-2007, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'm looking at the same seat. Where do the latches go?

I was looking all over the back seat, but couldn't find them. Where do they get installed?
Old 08-27-2007, 07:44 AM

Default you should have the latch points under the seat bottom and on the package shelf

there should be a hook that you would use when installing the forward facing seat. I know on my avant there are no lactc anchors under the seat so I use the belt, which is better imo, and then the hook on the back of the seatback.

Quick Reply: Those with children, did you have trouble with the car seat fitting?