A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

To those with socketed ECU chips or extra ECUs to swap for their chipped units (somewhat long) ...

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-1999, 09:43 AM
DavidG

Default To those with socketed ECU chips or extra ECUs to swap for their chipped units (somewhat long) ...

I have read that the ECU stores an error code when you disconnect it from power, a code that the dealer can read via the VAG tool. From what I understand, this flag is reset by the chip installer when you send in your ECU for reprogramming. How do you handle this issue when you remove your ECU on your own, to swap the chip or entire unit for stock? Won't the low-power flag remain set and show up during the code scan at your next dealer service? Or, like some other codes, does the ECU reset this on its own if the condition doesn't recur after some period of time? If so, what is this period?<p>Thanks for any help. I ask because I've been thinking of resetting my ECU by disconnecting from power and comparing the performance to before the disconnect. I want to see if adaptation has in any way reduced the efficacy of my chip. Not that I suspect it, but I am curious based on posts in past archives.
Old 06-15-1999, 10:15 AM
Andy Hedin

Default My $0.02....

<i>I have read that the ECU stores an error code when you disconnect it from power, a code that the dealer can read via the VAG tool.</i><p>Yes, this is true.<p><i>From what I understand, this flag is reset by the chip installer when you send in your ECU for reprogramming.</i><p>This is not true. It would be possible if you drive your A4 to the tuner's shop as the code has to be removed <b>after</b> the ECU is reconnected to your car.<p><i>How do you handle this issue when you remove your ECU on your own, to swap the chip or entire unit for stock? Won't the low-power flag remain set and show up during the code scan at your next dealer service?</i><p>I don't do anything about the code. I've swapped chips (from Wett back to stock and Wett to Wett) lots of times and my dealer hasn't mentioned anything to me about the code popping up. Personally, I don't think they really care. And I have no idea if my dealer is "chip-friendly" or not.<p><i>Or, like some other codes, does the ECU reset this on its own if the condition doesn't recur after some period of time? If so, what is this period?</i><p>I don't know.<p><i>Thanks for any help. I ask because I've been thinking of resetting my ECU by disconnecting from power and comparing the performance to before the disconnect. I want to see if adaptation has in any way reduced the efficacy of my chip. Not that I suspect it, but I am curious based on posts in past archives.</i><p>I say go for it and don't worry about the code.<p><A HREF="Mailto:andy_hedin@hotmail.com"><FONT FACE="Times New Roman" SIZE=4>Andy Hedin</FONT></A><br><p>'97 A4 1.8Tqms, Wett 1.0 Bar, ABT Filter, Euro Headlights...<br>
Old 06-15-1999, 10:33 AM
Bob W.

Default Re: My $0.02....(more)

Or, like some other codes, does the ECU reset this on its own if the condition doesn't recur after some period of time? If so, what is this period?<p>I've heard the low voltage code resets after 50 successful restarts.
Old 06-15-1999, 10:50 AM
CW

Default Bob,

I understand Pete was to maybe meet you the other day to check out your car w/APR in it. I just ordered also. Let's try to get together with Pete if/when you've time and we can all manage to pick a good date/time.<br>Chris
Old 06-15-1999, 11:55 AM
DavidG

Thanks, guys