A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

For those who have had a B3 20v quattro and now own B5' with either 1.8t or 2.8......

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 09:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default For those who have had a B3 20v quattro and now own B5' with either 1.8t or 2.8......

how do the B5's compare? I really liked my B3 and that it would take anything i threw at it. The B5 is 450lbs(quattro) heavier and would thus loose some of its "toss-able-ness" that the B3 had. Also the B3, in stock from, was semi over powered with the 20v and the B5's are not at all. That the 2.8 and the 1.8t can't be trusted as much as the 20v. Also that the whole car is a little more fragile seeming, where i would easily trust the B3 on dirt roads/parking lots, snow drives, and all those fun quattro moments where the weakest link is you and not some trivial part of the car. But i don't feel the same about the B5 that the car wouldn't be able to take it.
So am i just a noob to the newer models or is it kinda true and some of you feel the same way?
Old 03-04-2009, 09:49 PM
Keeper of the Cash

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default "That the 2.8 and the 1.8t can't be trusted as much as the 20v" Source? My 20v 1.8T is very trusting

Never left me stranded, ever. I've gone mudding in my car before, the car is far from fragile given how much pounding you have to do to get parts to come apart.

I think you're just a Luddite when it comes to the B5.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default i can add to this.. i got my start as a b2/3 guy..

while the 2.8 and 1.8t can be reliable.. the old 5cyl, in 10v or 20v form is hard to beat in terms of durability, and the more simple management systems can cause poor running situations, but rarely leave you stranded. their systems are much more primitive.. leaving less to go wrong

the b2/3 chassis is definitely a more rugged design that can take a beating over any sort of hellish road you can possibly find (after driving a 4kq, even the 90's seem a bit fragile).. however, what the b5 lacks in that department it makes up for in a much more sophisticated chassis that IMO makes up for the added weight. my '91 90q20v (rear sway car) was very tossable as is my '84 4kq. they have a smaller car feeling, but the b5 really is a great chassis and is quite tossable for a car its size

i think the bottom line is that the older cars are much more utilitarian and the newer b5 started to move into the realm of the 3 series and is geared much more towards that sort of experience. that being said, quattro IV is still amazing when the weather's bad and you need not worry about that.. in the snow, they drive much like a 90

i love my b5 and don't want to bash it on the b5 board.. but i must also say that I dont think the build quality is quite that of the b3, which is a very well built and very solid car.

and the b5 20v doesnt sound nearly as good as the real 20v
Old 03-05-2009, 02:46 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts
Default Much of what you wrote is way off base.

I have one of each right now. I love my B3 20v, but the B5 30v is a vastly better car.

Tossible? Sure the B5 is heavier, but the B3 is already a fat pig by "tossible" standards. The difference between fat and fatter is not that great. The B5 is tossible, based more on its short wheelbase than its weight.

I'm no fan of the 1.8, but the 30v is one of the best engines audi ever made. In terms of reliability, it is as good or better than the 20v 5 cylinder.

The B5 chassis is a huge leap forward in terms of suspension and set up. It's overall a vastly better all around car. Yes, you will lose some of the rawness of the old B3, but it's worth the trade, IMHO.
Old 03-05-2009, 04:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Put a hopped up 1.8t in the B3 and have best of both worlds

All the good pieces /rs2 tranny/stasis diffs/big brakes will fit. what you will lose is the handling of the B5 which ifr you buy the right parts is better than the B3's and I have driven some of the best of them. I would love to have a 90 with my 440whp 4 banger in it tho!
Old 03-05-2009, 05:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default My brother has both ('91 90Q20VT and '99 A4 2.830V) , and I've owned a B3 10V...

Now I own an '01 S4.

I do miss my B3, I bought it for $500 and beat the **** out of it, sold it with 235K miles on it still running and driving. My S4 is infinitely a better car engine and comfort wise though.

My brother's 90Q broke its timing belt, so he swapped in a 3B 20VT that he rebuilt with a little bit of help from me. Still hasn't wired it or plumbed it yet....his A4 runs like a champ though! And OBD2 helps with diagnostic work a lot, so the A4 is easier to service IMO.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default No offense, but this is a question that overlooks simplicity

as cars have progressed they have become softer, focused on luxury versus "experience".

This applies to most vehicles... ask a guy who has a 69 mustang what he thinks about the 1996 version...

ask a guy who has a RUF yellow bird what he thinks of the gt3

etc

etc

There is luxury in the b5 chassis that your b3 didn't have. Your motor is robust (5 cylinder iirc), you can get some good power out of them, you have a lighter chassis, you ... bah you get the idea.

BUT

you have an older car, you don't have the amenities of the b5 chassis, you don't have the quality of interior, you don't have the "luxury" aspect ...

we see this pattern continued. b6 b7 b8 they are more focused on luxury then they are about the "experience"

b5's aren't at the same level of luxury as the b8 but at the same time, i consider them more of an "experience" then the b8. B8 = big, heavy, and more "look at me" then i'd ever like to be.

my .02
Old 03-05-2009, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Thanks guys guess i will see about getting a B5 prob with the V6 but maybe a 1.8t....

and you all kinda in so many words said the same thing and to a degree what i believed.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default true, but experience >>> luxury, b/c even the B3's had some of the luxury items...

that didn't come back to NA till the late 90's
Old 03-05-2009, 11:16 AM

Default I've never had a b3, but when getting your b5 if you are looking to tune it at

all, definitely go with the 4 cyl. I bought my 12v v6 because it was the right price and in great condition. Now I love this car to death and it would take a lot for me to sell it, but the more time goes on the more I wish I would've bought a turbo'd car so I could tune it.

If you're just looking for a driver that won't ever get tuned though, the v6 is a blast and I wouldn't even consider buying the 4 cyl

Quick Reply: For those who have had a B3 20v quattro and now own B5' with either 1.8t or 2.8......