A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Those of you that AutoX/Race/Drag your A4's...

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2001, 08:09 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Those of you that AutoX/Race/Drag your A4's...

Is your A4 your primary car? How do you consider the fact that racing it is extra wear-and tear on your car? i.e. do you worry that the extra wear just makes things get old sooner?

I've been tossing around the idea of getting a second car as a race-only car - most specifically a 1st gen Mitsu Eclipse. I drove one tonight (and it may have just been a bad example), but the car was just a piece! I hated the way it felt etc, and the transmission was awful!

Anyhow, it's brought me somewhat back to the thought of buying a Stage III and Autocrossing the A4 - what do you guys think? I don't want to beat up on my baby! (of course, how long will I own it anyway? AUGH!!!)

There's other things to consider like exhaust and suspension - are there ways (i.e. adjustable coilovers?) to have an A4 that still rides like a stock sport-suspension, and then handle like a rock when it's race day?
Old 04-04-2001, 08:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Besides eating up tires pretty fast..probably no problems with autocrossing a lot
Old 04-04-2001, 08:57 PM

Default Re: Those of you that AutoX/Race/Drag your A4's...

Im in the same boat. I've decided to make all the modifications allowable without making the car uncomfortable on the streets. I'll run solo II and time trials for a few years then buy another car as a daily driver. Thats when it will get fun (and expensive). I currntly drive a vechicle that I made "uncomfortable" with modifications. It is exceptional at what it was built for but it sucks as a daily driver. Make your decision carefuly.
Old 04-04-2001, 09:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Believe me...

It's a toughie. I wonder if there's anyway to have a coilver setup that would be adjustable enough to stay streetable. In a perfect world, suspension-wise, the car would stay just as it is on the street, but be big-time adjustable for Solo II...dunno...rrrrgh!
Old 04-04-2001, 09:12 PM

don't make a trailer biatch!
Old 04-04-2001, 09:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default There aren't any convenient ways to do what you want.

Coilover set-ups allow for for a change in ride height, but because they are still using the same springs regardless of height, ride quality will never change much. True, some shocks, like Koni's, allow for a change in damping, but this requires removing the springs from the car to do so; NOT convenient. I know Mercedes had a user adjustable suspension in the works, but that doesn't do you any good. Basically, you have to choose your camp and commit to it. I tried a compromise spring (Eibach) but found it too soft for my liking (and the car rubbed like crazy on the 8.5" wide wheels) so I'm switching to the Vortrag/Hyperco's on Monday, which are a pretty aggressive spring rate. (500R, 450F) Kinda sucks, huh? I figure I'll drive a real stiff ride while I'm still young and then buy a softer car later on.

B
Old 04-05-2001, 04:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Oh, and watch your rotors, they're not hard to warp.
Old 04-05-2001, 04:15 AM

Default I autocross about once a month...

And my '01 A4 is my daily driver. Whether or not you get a second car depends on how often you're going to be at the autocross or track. For an autocross application, the only thing that you're wearing out early is your tires, but they're consumables anyway, and a lot cheaper than buying and modding out an entirely new car.

IMHO, if you haven't autox/raced before, I suggest that you not make any mods and remain in the stock group for a while until you really learn how to handle the car. If you're new and you mod the hell out of it, you'll soon find that you'll have to spend big $ in order to compete with the other guys in your new class in order to be competitive. Slowly add things to the car that will keep you in the stock class (shocks but not springs, sticky tires on another set of OEM-sized rims, brake pads) and learn how each one changes your car. Then, once you get good you can do something like Stage III.

The best modifications you can make now are to your own driving ability, so attend all the autocrosses and driving schools that you can. You'll be amazed at how much you learn, and it will make you a much more competitive driver.

HTH! Good Luck!
Old 04-05-2001, 05:41 AM

Default i dunno about that...

well at least at the auto-x's around here (granted i have only done 3 in my life) but here's what i have seen so far...

as far as the stock class, a stock a4 won't be competetive around here with all the stock type r's that put down some pretty good times.

an a4 with just suspension stuff that could stay in street prep should do pretty good if it's a new one with 170 hp...

my car is in street mod just cuz of the chip i think and i do pretty good if you are willing to beat the crap out of your clutch to get those extra few 10th's...

but most importantly auto-x is about the driving...so i say modify all you want, cuz odds are there is always going to be someone faster than you anwyays in any class
Old 04-05-2001, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

only FWD A4 in STS, no turbo allowed but 1.8t has a small one

Quick Reply: Those of you that AutoX/Race/Drag your A4's...