A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

TIGHT short shift kit..

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2003, 02:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TIGHT short shift kit..

..I had a short shift kit installed and I was curious about how "tight" the shift should be. There are 3 levels of tightness on the B&M.. do you want it on the "tightest" setting?? wouldn't this make it HARDER to shift??
Old 03-31-2003, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default I wouldn't call them "levels of tightness"...

They are 3 levels of shift throw reduction. Keep in mind, the shorter the throws, the more force is required to shift and more likely the more notchy the feeling.
Old 03-31-2003, 02:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default so the B&M will ALWAYS feel this "tight" ..

.. with the SHORTEST setting?? Also.. when I shift from 3rd to 4th gear.. I get a little bit of a weird "delay" if you will.. which momentarily pauses the shift.. any ideas??
Old 03-31-2003, 02:47 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Re: so the B&M will ALWAYS feel this "tight" ..

Well, I don't know from personal experience as I have the Stratmosphere shifter which only has one setting (approx. 35% shift throw reduction).

Do some experimenting. I could think of two reasons for your weird "delay":

1. The shifter is not aligned properly. Play around with the main two allen screws.

2. The very short throw causes it. In this case, switch to another setting and see if it feels any better.

BTW, I'm experiencing such weird delay when shifting from 1st to 2nd, and although I played around with trying to align it differently, it didn't really help at all. I still have that annoying hesitation that prevents me from quickly shifting from 1st to 2nd. No way in hell am I going to win any 0-60 or 1/4 mile competitions with that thing :-(
Old 03-31-2003, 02:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I had this "delay" BEFORE the ss kit tho'..

the delay.. is like a pause.. not 1 FULL, and fluid motion going from 3rd to 4th gear.. it was there before the short shift kit.. I wonder what it could be..??
Old 03-31-2003, 03:16 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default well...

I've been told that adjusting the shifter linkages in the transmission may help. However, the 1st to 2nd issue is much more common than the 3rd to 4th which you have.

If you're still under warranty, then have your dealer look at it, but you will have to put your stock shifter back in. Otherwise, the dealer won't touch it - they'll just blame it on the short shift kit.

If you're no longer under warranty, find an independent shop in your area that specializes in Audi and have them play with it. Personally, mine isn't so bad - I've been hesitant to take it to an indep. shop, and I also don't feel like putting my shifter back to stock so the dealer can figure this out. However, I don't remember my issue to be so pronounced when I was stock, which leads me to believe that my short shifter just amplifies the problem.

Some people also reported that their shifts have smoothed out after replacing the tranny fluid with synthetic lubricant. Redline MT-90 is da stuff! YMMV