A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

The time has come! ...Turbo upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2003, 06:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The time has come! ...Turbo upgrade

Ok, to make a long story short (even though i feel this will end up being a lengthy post, sorry)

Car: 99' A4 n-dbw. quattro, with K04 kit.

The K04 has been on the car for quite some while now. I have been noticing that it was getting lazier and lazier over time. Didnt quite give me that 'rush' anymore. Ive been anticipating the K04 giving out on me some time this summer and ...it happened last night. I just got the car back from the shop a few days ago. Custom 3inch Downpipe made from the turbo back.

Well....Im on it strong and showing my buddy how much better the car is breathing and sounding. I exit the interstate and come back around to normal speeds where i hear the infamous "turbo whine".

So, my choice for turbo kit is now becoming a reality. Im deciding on the PES kit. Want to know the weird part? I live in Alabama about two hours away from APR. Youd think that going APR would be a no brainer for me but....guess im a little different.

SO anyways, going to order the kit today. just wanted to sort of get advice about the install. I know a master BMW technician here in town and he does pretty much all german cars at the shop he works for, Munich-Sport. I would also be able to help out with the total install because Im very close friends with the shops owner. I understand that the kit comes with cd-rom instructions. For those of you that had the kit installed on your own (not through PES). Were there any issues that I should anticipate on running in to? Is it pretty much a no brainer deal?

Also, Im hoping that there will be no comlications with the fitment of my straight pipe and FMIC. (Evo) The straight pipe should be fine since the welder used the same flange from my cat.

Last question is, does it matter where I get the kit from? Directly from PES or from another source?

THanks in advance.
Old 06-30-2003, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I thought all turbos "whine" .. isn't it just spooling up your hearing.. or escaping air?
Old 06-30-2003, 08:41 AM
Elder Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default =) Good Choice...

Only one place to get it direct and at a discount...

PES Tuning.

$3599.00 + Free Shipping to your door.

Let me know.
Old 06-30-2003, 10:13 AM

Default Re: I thought all turbos "whine" .. isn't it just spooling up your hearing.. or escaping air?

No. Its definitely not the normal turbo whine or hiss. Sound very loud even taken the car out of vacuum. Sounds very similar to alternator noise that you would get if you had a bad ground in your stereo. Its that bad. Plus..theres no more power.