A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Timing belt question.

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2004, 01:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing belt question.

For those who have done it, what was your milage when you replaced it?
I was looking at the ECS Tuning Ultimate timing belt kit. Would you say that does the job?
And while the timing belt is being done, should I be replacing anything else? ie. gaskets, any other belts or pumps?
Any help would be much appreciated!
Old 12-30-2004, 01:57 PM
Keeper of the Cash

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Man, your car looks like a Matchbox racer in that picture.

Do your T belt every 60k miles. Get the ECS kit, and also be sure to do your water pump while you're there. Cheap insurance and reassurance for you.
Old 12-30-2004, 02:05 PM

Default Matchbox Racer, is that bad?

So then This kit would be good?
I was going to go to a local shop to get this done. Or should I go to Audi/VW specific shop?

ECS Tuning Ultimate Timing Belt Kit- With the great success of our early version Timing Belt Kit, ECS has decided to offer a more complete kit with everything customers usually order when replacing their timing belt.

Kit includes the following:
Timing Belt
OEM Tensioner Roller
OEM Tensioner w/ small roller
**Hepu OE Water Pump With gasket**
Wahler OE Thermostat with O-ring
A/C Belt
P/S Belt
Water Pump Belt

$284.95
Old 12-30-2004, 02:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Depends

If you've got the old style tensioner, the correct answer is "change it NOW." If you've got the new tensioner, I'd say 90k miles. The belts almost never break of their own accord. Either the tensioner fails (belt goes slack and jumps teeth) or the roller seizes (the belt breaks). Either way, unless you're VERY lucky, you're looking at a few grand in engine repairs.

Cheers,
Old 12-30-2004, 02:15 PM

Default Just did mine last weekend @52k, mainly due to age. My water pump has been replaced earlier, so I

didn't go with the ultimate kit from ECS, - purchased a kit from www.germanautoparts.com instead. It was cheaper too.

I've heard that the ultimate kit from ECS has a cheapo water pump gasket, so plan on purchasing an OEM one frome the dealer even though there is one in the kit.

I also replaced all the belts while at it and added fresh coolant (didn't reuse the old). And the trans filter/fluid but that's another story...
Old 12-30-2004, 02:16 PM

Default I have a 2001.5 with about 62,000 miles.

So I wanted to do it sooner then later. Do you know if I have the old or new style tensioner?
Old 12-30-2004, 02:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I think he means cuz it's a big road, but crop that so it's pretty much just the car 4 a sig

which is why I ain't got one, that and no truely cool pics of my (not so beutiful cuz it looks stock) car
Old 12-30-2004, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You probably have the new tensioner...

See my pics for a comparison of new and old tensioners (side by side pic). You can pop off your upper timing belt cover and look with a flashlight to see which one you've got. Newer tensioner is on the left. Takes 2 mins to check.

Cheers,
Old 12-30-2004, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default "cheapo" water pump gasket?

The OEM gasket is a metal and rubber gasket. The aftermarket is a fiber/paper gasket. Both designs are more than adequate for a water pump. It's a complete waste of money to pay extra for the metal/rubber gasket and the paper/fiber gasket isn't of "lower" quality.

Cheers,
Old 12-30-2004, 02:25 PM

Default No offense but that's my understanding after following the topic on AW. People blame the

gasket from ECS kit for leaks later on.

You might be right, - I have nothing to back up the claim.

Quick Reply: Timing belt question.