A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

To tint or not to tint, that is the question

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2002, 12:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To tint or not to tint, that is the question

I'm worried that the black leather in my 96 A4 is taking quite a beating from the sun's rays and heat. And it isn't much fun to sit on when it's been baking in the sun.

Would tint considerably lesson the interior heat?

I'm a little leery about getting my car tinted, because I've seen WAY too many toyotas with bubbly, ugly purple tint around town. Anyone had that problem?

I know that the cost probably depends on the % and kind of tint, but can anyone give me the average cost of gettng the car tinted all the way around?

thanks,

Paul
Old 06-23-2002, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I want to tint soon, in CA though im scared of getting ticket for front windows tinted
Old 06-23-2002, 12:39 PM

Default Tint!

You'll notice a dramatic drop in interior temperature, but of course it depends on how dark you go.

Bubbles in tint is due to poor installation. I know someone that has had their car tinted for 9yrs with no bubbles. I went to the same installer to do mine. I paid $350 all the way around, which is $100-$150 above average,but if it last 9yrs without bubbling, that extra $ I paid is worth it. To remove the tint on rear windows with defroster lines is expensive, so do it once and do it right, even if it costs you.

Purple'ing is due to ammonia. Use window cleaner that is tint safe and make sure car wash people use ammonia free cleaners.

I don't think cost is affected by the % you go. However, it does depend on which film you get. People seem to like 3M.
Old 06-23-2002, 12:39 PM

Default Tint definitely lessens the heat inside...

I've got 38% all around and i've noticed that even after sitting in the sun, it's still relatively bearable inside with the windows rolled up.

There is NO reason that your tint should bubble or fade to purple as long as you use a GOOD quality tint and a GOOD installer.

You want a fully metallic tint to ensure no fading.

Cost can be anywhere from 150-250 depending on the place you use.
Old 06-23-2002, 12:48 PM

Default I have to freakin disagree, I got limo tint....

and it doesnt help with heat. It still is freakin hot, I didnt notice a diff in getting the tint. of course I have a black car with black interior.

so I wouldnt get tint cuz of heat. I will say it looks bad!

so get it becuase of that.
Old 06-23-2002, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

around here, we make fun of people w/o tint.
Old 06-23-2002, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default there is no good reason NOT to get tint, quality tint doesnt bubble or peel

The crap you see is walmart special, probably installed by the person driving it.

Quality tints installed by a pro are guaranteed for LIFE to not fade, peel, crack, or bubble.

There is simply no good reason to not have tint. It helps reduce UV exposure to your interior as well as YOU, and it helps reduce interior heat. It also makes the car look 100x better.
Old 06-23-2002, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I'm in CA (Los Angeles) too, and got my windows tinted for more than a yr. now...

Never got pulled over b/c of the tint (all 4 windows). I think it'd be okay as long as it's not too dark.
Old 06-23-2002, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I agree about the heat advantage. The mirrored tint has worked really well for me.
Old 06-23-2002, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

With ur golden badges & tint, the car would probably look 200x better!

Quick Reply: To tint or not to tint, that is the question