A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Are tinted windows safe? (more)

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-1999, 08:46 AM
Loreon

Default Are tinted windows safe? (more)

I am patiently waiting to order a '00 car (fingers drumming....) and I really like the look of tinted windows but one question nags at me - Are after-market tinted windows safe? I mean since you are putting a plastic film on them don't you run the risk of creating a glass necklase buy preventing them from beading when shattered in a bad accident?<p> <p>
Old 04-26-1999, 08:48 AM
Good Question

No..... They Will Kill You!!!
Old 04-26-1999, 10:02 AM
weird question

I hit a parked grocery cart and I am happy to say that I am ok with my tinted glass
Old 04-26-1999, 10:44 AM
Nick D.

If I wreck my A4, I'd better be hurt! I may tint just for that reason..
Old 04-26-1999, 10:54 AM
Loreon

Default I'm happy to amuse you...

...which part of my question about aftermarket window tinting causes you confusion?<p>Perhaps it is me who is confused. My understanding about tinting is that it is a film that is placed over the windows. The film contains a strong adhesive - to keep it from falling off every time you open the window. If a factory window is broken it shatters into little beads - I know this because I've had my car broken into once by a thief who could not be bothered to jimmy the lock. I suspect the shattering effect is desireable to keep people's body parts from being sliced up in an accident that causes them to be thrown violently against the windows and not so that the thief does not slice his hands trying to get into your car for spare change. Thus, I assume (perhaps incorrectly - hence my question) that the additional plastic tinting film would prevent the shattering dispersion of the window and instead create a condition often seen when a non restrained person gets propelled head first through the windshield and upon recoil from the frontal impact gets decapitated by the closing of the plastic impregnated windshield around his neck. <p>If anyone can inform/educate me about the particulars of aftermarket glass tinting, I would be very grateful. Any information about particular brands to avoid or seek out would also be appreciated.<p>Thanks.
Old 04-26-1999, 11:28 AM
Audiboy

Default Re: I'm happy to amuse you... - my one cents :-)

Front windshields have a plastic sheet embedded in glass to prevent shattering which could be fatal if in collision with a small flying object, which is why they are called safety glass. As opposed to all other windows, which are lighter and cheaper to manufacture but the glass is worked in a way that the lattice will break into little pieces (tempered glass) so that in a colission as you pointed out would shatter (and not break like a mirror causing very sharp sharpnel). Although the shattered glass is still sharp, I the small size makes it less dangerous. Tint film is very thin. The glass will still shatter as normal, and depending on the momentum of the impact, the tint will rip - but in my experience because most of the glass still adheres to the tint, there is less flying debri. Not sure if that is safer or not. I say go for metallic 3M tint - not because of it's shatter properties but the color last forever - or as long as the car. BTW, I believe there are bullet proof laminates (like the ones used in some limos) that can help prevent shattering)
Old 04-26-1999, 12:16 PM
Loreon

Thanks for the info. It may be a personal call but what %age of shade offers best day vs night visibility from inside? (nt)?
Old 04-26-1999, 12:30 PM
R. Nader

Also, usually it's illegal to tint the front windshield for safety/visibility reasons.
Old 04-26-1999, 01:29 PM
Audiboy

Default Re: Thanks for the info. It may be a personal call but what %age of shade offers best day vs night visibility from inside? (nt)?

I live in sunny cali where it is illegal to install tinting in the front door windows. So, I used 50% on all front windows including the rear quarter window, 35% on the rear, because 50% on the rear is just too light. I used 50% on the front windows, so that it looks like factory. I would stay away from tints below 30% because they just get too dark at night and you'll miss the cops when you're speeding :-). But with my setup, Visibility is good, and I am not bothered by high-beams too. BTW, use a darker shade on the rear quarter panels as the gray fascia around the window makes my 50% tint look brighter that the rest of the windows.
Old 04-26-1999, 04:46 PM
dk

Default 35% all around looks good and is good for night vision...

...my last car was a 325i and I had 15%. Now *that* was dark at night! Too dark in fact. I put in 35% on my 99 328 and it offers the perfect comprimise.....