A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Tip transmission fluid change...how do I evacuate ALL of the old fluid?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2004, 07:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tip transmission fluid change...how do I evacuate ALL of the old fluid?

Was reading about it here and there, know the steps and tools involved. Have a VAG. Here's what bothering me:

1. When replacing the radiator a while ago (my car is a builder) the fluid leaking out of its trans cooler side was not yellow (Esso factory fill) but red. Hmm... What do I have in my trans? Redline fluid? Considering the fact that it wasn't too dark but rather clear red there is a good possibility that the fluid has been replaced not too long before I've purchased the car at ~52K.

2. Now that I suspect a non-OEM fluid in the trans I'd like to do a complete flush, not just a static change (drop the pan, replace filter/fluid). But my dealer "doesn't do trans fluid changes as they're lifetime fills". Yep, that's what they have told me. And, if they'd still do it for me it would be the same static method that I can use without their help.

3. The main question is: since the static method is my only choice (no flushing machine at the dealership), how do I evaquate ALL of the non-OEM fluid and fill with Esso?

4. Am I right in my quest not to have news Esso fluid mixed with some unknown old red stuff in the trans? Or am I just paranoid?

P.S.: There are no problems with the trans. Yet.
Old 12-15-2004, 07:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Our factory ATF fluid is Yellow??
Old 12-15-2004, 07:31 AM

Default VERY important to have all the same oil in the tranny, according to my trusty mechanic

In fact, when I got the tranny oil replaced a few months ago, my mechanic had to flush it several times before putting new oil in. Regarding the oil being red... well, the oil for a 97 2.8 is red (I think that is what my mechanic told me), so maybe that is why red stuff was coming out?

Regarding tranny oil service, you don't want to skip the intevals on that. My car did it at around 83k because that is about when I bought it, the fluid still looked good and everything was clean on the inside, but my mechanic said it still should have been done sooner. Dealers are retarded... "lifetime tranny fluid" is as dumb as "90k timing belt change for 1.8t".

Anyhow, my 2 cents, hope everyone else will answer the rest.
Old 12-15-2004, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Bilstein is. Where did you get it?
Old 12-15-2004, 07:37 AM

Esso ATF LT71141, P/N G 052 162 A1 (for 1.2 liter), or A2 (for 1 liter) is yellow.
Old 12-15-2004, 07:45 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default AFAIK, the factory fluid is red.

As far as replacing it, I think the Bentley procedure is a PITA. What I might look into is tapping the lines going to the radiator. Feed one into a bucket of fresh fluid (the line that returns to the tranny), and run the other line into a bucket to drain out the old stuff. Start the car, and let it run until you think you've completely flushed the system. You might end up wasting some fresh oil doing it this way, but it seems much simpler to me. It doesn't address the issue of the screen/filter though.

BTW, I've never done this, so take it with a grain of salt. It's just another mousetrap.
Old 12-15-2004, 07:58 AM

Can anyone confirm that the factory fill is red? I'll sleep better if it is ;-)
Old 12-15-2004, 08:02 AM
Elder Member

Default I've heard the reason for the lifetime fluid is that

the new fluid could release trapped gunk that can cause problems for the tranny down the road
Old 12-15-2004, 08:11 AM

Talked to the parts guy again. He promised to find out what color factory fills are
Old 12-15-2004, 08:11 AM

Default Can say the same for engine oil... I am not a car guy, so I can't comment on it with certainty, good

mechanics would know best.

Quick Reply: Tip transmission fluid change...how do I evacuate ALL of the old fluid?