A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Tiptronic not switching on......

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 05:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tiptronic not switching on......

I know the topic of "Tiptronic" must be one of the most abused topics on this forum, but after searching for two days, I'll post the problem I am trying to solve.

To start; it's a 1999 A4 2.8 5v.

I have a bunch of issues I am trying to resolve while the car is apart in my garage; clockspring/ airbag light (fixed), abs light (rear sensors on order), sunroof doesn't close (tackling next) and of course, the Tiptronic.

I have the console all apart and removed the shifter assy. I did find the displaced "long" magnet and superglued it back into the plastic slider. The small square magnet is ok too. I removed the circuit board and checked for bad solder joints, inspected under magnifying glasses, all looks ok.
Before reinstalling the console, i turned ignition to "on" (engine not running) and tried the tippy- it still will not switch into tip mode!!!
I checked my Bently DVD- I cannot find any wiring (except a picture of a fuse box) for the Tip. I was hoping to trace a power lead or something??

Is there any other steps I can check to see where the problem is? Is it time to replace the board and hope for the best? I hate to replace parts for the sake of trying to track down a problem....every part price has a minimum of three digits ($100+++).
I would love to fix this tiptronic issue, any help is appreciated!!
On to the sunroof meanwhile.............
Old 09-25-2012, 12:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I thought I would post my own reply (since lacking other suggestions/solutions) for anyone who is also experiencing these symptoms.

I found a relatively newer shift plate assembly in a U-pull it yard and tried it in my car.
Viola! The tiptronic now works!!
So, as pretty much all the posts indicate, it's either misplaced magnets, or a failed board. Those are your choices.
I am just glad it's fixed!
Old 09-25-2012, 04:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 100 Likes on 89 Posts

Always nice to hear of success.