A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Tiptronic Preformance Help...

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-1999, 04:03 AM
Steve

Default Tiptronic Preformance Help...

I've been thinking about getting an a4 but it seems there is a 3 month wait for me in this area, They have one in stock that is what I want to but has sports package, sunroof, quattro, etc. but it's automatic, which is really not what I want, but the 3 month wait period is pretty long. My question is I've seen the 0-60 specs for the 1.8t quattro auto and it's around 9.5 or so at least I think, but does the car preform closer to the manual when it's in tiptronic manual? Does anyone have any figures on it using tiptronic?<p>Thanks Steve<br>
Old 03-08-1999, 05:23 AM
Ash

Default I have a feeling the 9.5 is in fact using tiptronic...not sure though.

nt.
Old 03-08-1999, 06:25 AM
EP

Default Re: Tiptronic Preformance Help...(long)

It seems from my informal trials that the tests are when the tranny is in full "automatic". When you make the same run with the manual control, things are much improved. The reason for much of the discrepency in times is that it is difficult to bring the car to an ideal RPM level before launch. Manual times are never based on going from idle RPM to peak torque or HP points. Most rev to 3000rpm then drop the clutch. Unless you do this as part of your daily drive, Tip is a great compromise.<p>I LOVE stick, but have come to really enjoy the tip. But like they say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder...<br>
Old 03-08-1999, 06:32 AM
HJohn

I'm into my 4th month of waiting and I'd still recommend it to get what you really want.
Old 03-08-1999, 07:43 AM

Same whether in tip or auto mode
Old 03-08-1999, 08:47 AM
erikp

Default Transmission is THE most important option. You must try both, and get what you want...

They will most likely have one in stock later on (or can get one.. dealer trade, etc.) that fits your needs.
Old 03-08-1999, 09:49 AM
rgzimmer

Default Re: Tiptronic Preformance Help...

Manual mode won't help with 0-60 times. In addition to inability to rev up and drop the clutch, the shift itself takes about a second, regardless of whether it's in manual or automatic mode. There is probably also more energy loss in the Tiptronic than in a manual transmission. There's less of difference between Tiptronic and manual transmission if your main concern is acceleration at speed, as long as shift times are not an issue. As an automatic transmission, it's great. However, if you really want a manual transmission, you will probably be disappointed in the Tiptronic in manual mode for a couple of additional reasons - you can't tell what gear you're in by feeling the shift position and downshifts seem to take forever. I would wait for a manual transmission car.
Old 03-08-1999, 11:44 AM
Dan F.

Default Re Tiptronic Perfomance Help ... (kinda long)

I've been reading a lot about the tip vs. manual<br>in the archives while I ponder the same decision, and I've come to a short conclusion: the tiptronic transmission is a bad design. Period.<p> Tiptronic itself is a cool feature and the transmission isn't cheap or unreliable, but there's no excuse for its huge impact on the car's performance. No other manufacturer loses ~2 seconds on 0-60 just by going from manual to automatic.<p> Does anyone know the 0-60 time of either <br>engine from an idle start with the manual?<br>I'd be curious to know how much of the difference<br>comes from the racing start vs. how much is<br>inherent to the transmissions. Could they just<br>tweak the gear ratios on the tiptronic?<p>Dan<br>
Old 03-08-1999, 02:03 PM
MikeM

Default Wait for the manual...

I bought a 2.8 Q with the Tip as a compromise solution and most days I'm kicking myself. As an auto it is a great idea, but it just doesn't compare to a manual tranny. I haven't noticed 1 sec. delays like some of the other folks are talking about and from what I've read it is faster in Tip mode, but I haven't noticed that either. If you like driving a manual then I'd wait for a manual, the Tip is only cool in a traffic jam or when drinking coffee, etc.