A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Tired of quattro in snow advantage discussion! (semi-rant)

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-1999, 09:52 AM
Derek Daily

Default Tired of quattro in snow advantage discussion! (semi-rant)

Look,

I hate to pull out the "I've owned a quattro 10 years longer than any of you have had an A4" action, but I feel it is necessary at the moment...

All of you that are using the quattro in snow as the sole reasoning for considering the audi over BMW, drop it. I've seen this in a number of posts lately.

There is a reason why Volvo, Mercedes, and yes Virginia, BMW are introducing (or re-introducing) AWD systems in many of their models. And it is not to pacify the masses that do a lot of driving in the snow.

1) AWD is an advantage in EVERY weather condition and every common road condition. (I've hedged with "common road" as RWD or FWD may be more predictable in some race environments. Give or take 20-50 kg weight penalties.)

2) This one is kind of tough so bear with me... I'll try to keep it simple... AWD systems transfer power to more than two wheels! This means LESS stress per axle over time. Don't talk to me about driveline power loss, etc. I'm talking about 420k miles on two vehicles equipped with quattro (syncro) and this tends to be the norm...not the exception.

3) Resale values are much higher for quattros (v FWD) if you ever plan to let go of it...

4) In high school it was cool to peel out of the parking lot spinning 2 wheels. Just think how cool you'll be to spin four... ;-)

So, when you're making that decision to buy ir not buy the S4, A4, TT, etc...

Go quattro.

Derek Daily
Old 08-03-1999, 10:05 AM
randall

Default sooo. What kind of HP are u pulling to spin 3/4 tires

depending on the system you may only be able to spin 3. I dunno for sure.

1996 a4 2.8 qm 12v
(can't spin ANY tires)
Old 08-03-1999, 10:56 AM
PhilJ

Default My friend's Mitsu 3000GT VR4 has 410HP, he's only chirped them ONCE...

and he really had to work at it...

-PhilJ
Old 08-03-1999, 10:58 AM
Brad Franklin

Default Re: Tired of quattro in snow advantage discussion! (semi-rant)

Interesting...point #2 goes:

2) This one is kind of tough so bear with me... I'll try to keep it simple... AWD systems
transfer power to more than two wheels! This means LESS stress per axle over time. Don't
talk to me about driveline power loss, etc. I'm talking about 420k miles on two vehicles
equipped with quattro (syncro) and this tends to be the norm...not the exception.

then he follows up with this!?!??!?

4) In high school it was cool to peel out of the parking lot spinning 2 wheels. Just think how
cool you'll be to spin four... ;-)

hmmm......don't think you'll be going any 420K miles with that kind of driving habit

Brad
Old 08-03-1999, 02:54 PM
Becker...

Default My experience says you'll burn the clutch before the tires. 98.5 A4QM / 95 Eclipse GSX

(nt)
Old 08-03-1999, 07:27 PM
Scott G

Default Re: I tried it once(clutch smell) on acccident once(clutch smell) clutch smell bad.(more)

I got my first A4 in 95 and of course one of my friends says, will it spin all four. Of course I tried it and the clutch stank but no quat black tracks. I decided this was probably a bad thing. I have my 98 for a while and got a little over hyper on the gas to merge into some traffic and clutch smell. It took many miles before the clutch felt like its old self. If someone ask for a full NHRA John Force funny car burn out, just say no.