A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

TIRES??

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-1999, 07:58 PM
rasin

Default TIRES??

i have 60k on my 96 2.8 and i live in utah the worst state in the union. any way deep snow in winter and i want proformance in the summer and i don't wanna change tires because i don't have any money after buying my a4 any options that anyone knows of?
Old 09-20-1999, 04:23 AM
chuck

Default Re: TIRES??

The original Eagle rsa's are fine in the winter. Unfortunately they squeal like a stuck pig under moderate cornering in the summer.
Old 09-20-1999, 04:45 AM
Rodney

Default The two are mutually exclusive

The same characteristics that make a good highperformance tire make for a bad (at best) tire in the snow. This is a bit oversimplified, but you get the idea:

High Performance Tires: Rubber compound becomes much stickier at higher temps, needs to warm up a bit before optimum performance is reached. Large tread blocks to keep as much rubber in contact with the road as possible.

Snow Tires: Rubber compound which is flexible ad grippy at low temps (becomes less effective at higher temps). Smaller tread blocks, with more open space to throw off snow.

There are some decent high performance all season tires, but these are invariably a compromise. Basically, what they are is a high performance tread compound with an all season (not snow) tread pattern. This is a decent solution if you get some snow, but rarely need to drive on unplowed roads. The fact is that if you want the best performance in the summer and the best safety in the winter, you need dedicated snows. I got 15" steel wheels from TireRack for $26 each (they were "take offs" from a Passat) which I use for autocrossing.

Regards,
Rodney

'99 A4 1.8tqms
Old 09-20-1999, 09:21 AM
T. King

If you REFUSE to change tires, buy the best Ultra High Perf. All-season you can! 2 sets is best tho
Old 09-20-1999, 10:22 AM
pdw

Default Correct(more)

Another feature of a good winter tire that is bad for fast cornering are sipes. These are the little cuts in the rubber and they help bite into snow. Unfortunately, for high-performance driving, they lessen the amount of rubber contacting the pavement and they squirm.

As Rodney said, buy 15" Passat takeoffs(got 4 for $100 at a local VW dealer) and real snow tires. If you can't afford this what are you going to do if your A4 needs a major repair?
Old 09-21-1999, 02:17 PM
Greg Marquis

Default Eagle RSA's suck... any suggestions? (was: Re: TIRES??)

I couldn't agree more. The stock tires suck in the summer. I just took delivery of a new BMW and the tires on it are almost impossible to squeal. The only times I've done it have been doing crazy stuff that would get me killed in my A4. Of course it's so light I won't be driving it in the winter, either, so that's a factor. I think the tires on the BMW are dunlops or bridgstones. Can't remember w/o looking. But does anyone have any suggestions for a better gripping and less noisy tire for summer use?

-Greg
'98.5 2.8QM
'00 M Roadster