A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 07:55 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

#1 rated by who?
Old 09-17-2007, 08:01 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

by those who've never owned real performance tires
Old 09-17-2007, 08:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Tire Rack.Ever heard of them? I see F1 in there running a strong 34th. I'm happy w/mine, so whatever

<ul><li><a href="http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=AR4&url=%2Ftires%2Fsurveyresults%2Fsurveyd isplay.jsp%3Ftype%3DUHP">http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=UHP</a></li></ul>
Old 09-17-2007, 08:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

...but who have actually owned *these* tires.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default correct, but his point is that those people haven't experienced anything better, like F1s, S03s,

Pilot Sports, g-Force T/A KDWs, RE-01R, T1Rs, and other max/extreme performance tires.

People who fill out the surveys about higher performance tires are typicaly those looking for better grip over an OEM A/S tire, not willing to spend $150-180/tire, they all think they drive like a race car on the street and want more than 20-25k out of their tires. They're probably still running 15/16" wheels with softer sidewalls and now with a UHP, it feels sporty to them. It doesn't even compare to a max/extreme lower profile 17"/18" that is wider too.

For a UHP, the GE tire might be the best bang for the buck for grip tire out there. But, some of us know that for more grip from a better tire, you have to be willing to give up tire wear and pay a little more.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:48 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default No, tirerack didn't rate them...those are based on user reviews.

Which, not surprisingly, are horribly flawed. People love to buy the cheapest product around, and when comparing them to their old, worn, noisy heat cycled tires, are comparitively fantastic.

Hell, I'd be surprised if the snow and ice performance would rate 6 or higher if tirerack didn't omit the option to rate in those categories.

The only reviews I pay attention to on that site are the side by side tests run by the tirerack (doesn't look like they bothered to test this tire). The user reviews are garbage.

Finally, most new tires are relatively quiet and grip good. You get what you pay for with tires. IME, quality control and consistency in grip are the first things to go out the window when you buy a cheap tire. Wheel won't balance properly? Tire is probably out of round so bad that you'll have to live with it. Tire starts skidding in the wet when you're got &gt;50% treadlife left? You got what you paid for.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Mine were excellent for the first @10k miles

then they were loud. Only got @17k from them (was hoping for at least 20k the way that I drive). I get a 4 wheel alignment every year - so my wear was not abnormal.
I won't be getting them again.
Old 09-18-2007, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default FWIW, a friend and I did a track day. I had F1s, he had UHPs both 17s. The F1s tread feathered

a bit, but his UHPs rolled the sidewall and corded. He did manage to get them replaced for free as they were less than a week old.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default How are you so sure their last tires came in a Happy Meal? Counterpoint is, your tires ranked poorly

by people who owned them. Your argument fails the AW test when more *popular* tires are ranked. I'm sure there are plenty of comparison reviews that contradict what you said. I just added one too.
At $75/ea, my argument is made. I don't mind spending money on car parts which are permanent upgrades, but stuff that wilts away, like tires, I like to be a bit more price consicous. I also like to try newer tires, ad infinitum. These are a hit, just short of track use where specialty rules. fwiw, I drive 30k a year.
Old 09-18-2007, 08:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Because that's been typical for the last ~15 years of using TireRack. Yes, I did, but I agree w/RKA

You can't deny that the list of tires that I posted aren't better tires as far as grip or even ready for a track day/weekend. I doubt those UHP would be up for the task. They are from a Happy Meal, imo. I also run 3 sets of wheels/tires for exactly what I want out of them.

Quick Reply: Tires?