A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Too much bass! Help me Jeebus! Or some one who is the product of this Jeebus.

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Too much bass! Help me Jeebus! Or some one who is the product of this Jeebus.

I have too much bass in my 1998th year of our savor and lord Jeebus Crised Audi A4. I have the bass set to -5 and it sounds like I have it set to +5.

WAT B UP WIT ALL DA BASSIFICASHUN UP IN MY RIZZI YO?!!!

In the mean time I will take the amp part and see if I can set the gain lower. Taking apart the "sub" amp proved more difficult than I thought. I don't think the gain would be easy to adjust anyway. I think the problem stems from the head unit signal. But I can't be sure.

Last edited by jimmy154; 07-30-2010 at 09:47 AM.
Old 07-30-2010, 11:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

More info, if you can. I'm guessing you have OEM system?
Old 07-30-2010, 07:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

I think it's a Premium Monsoon system? Boy, I don't know. Let me check and I will post it here later. If I had an my own system I would not have such a problem. Well I might, but I could fix it myself.

I don't know if the head unit is sending to powerful of a signal to the amp or if the amp is amplifying the signal too much.

I had some problems taking the amp apart, so I just put it back together.
Old 07-31-2010, 04:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmy154
I think it's a Premium Monsoon system? Boy, I don't know. Let me check and I will post it here later. If I had an my own system I would not have such a problem. Well I might, but I could fix it myself.

I don't know if the head unit is sending to powerful of a signal to the amp or if the amp is amplifying the signal too much.

I had some problems taking the amp apart, so I just put it back together.
If it's a monsoon you should be on Vw vortex.

Audi OEM for 98 is Delta (made by Blaupunkt) or 98.5 Concert I (made by Panasonic)
Old 08-01-2010, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

It's a concert. Any one know where the problem is?
Old 08-02-2010, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Kind of strange to me that I've read quite a bit about this problem, but I've never read a solution to this problem other than buying a VAG COM cable, if that is an ideal solution. I don't see how a properly functioning audio system can sound this bad with only having improper settings.

I could just attenuate the signal going to the bass amp (or mid-bass, more accurately), but I would like to find a better solution.
Old 08-02-2010, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jimmy154
Kind of strange to me that I've read quite a bit about this problem, but I've never read a solution to this problem other than buying a VAG COM cable, if that is an ideal solution. I don't see how a properly functioning audio system can sound this bad with only having improper settings.

I could just attenuate the signal going to the bass amp (or mid-bass, more accurately), but I would like to find a better solution.
It could be setup incorrectly, the coding sets up the number of speakers / Bose etc.

If the radio is setup for Bose and the rest of the system is not weird things happen.

If the radio is setup for Bose it should be display BOSE on power up. If so you should have matching speakers marked Bose in the doors.

The Concert I was used in A4,A6 and TT along with Avant versions of both the A4/A6 and the roadster version of the TT.

There are a lot of permutations as well as a number of wiring variations thru model years. Combine that with various amps and aftermarket subs seems to cause all sorts of problems.

At least making sure the coding is correct is a starting point.

Coding is here.

http://www.ibiblio.org/tkan/audi/radios/concert.html
Old 08-02-2010, 10:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I assume you have the Sub in the trunk? if so their is a mod I think in the tech section on how to modify the sub. and I have seen many recodings that are supposed to take care of it, i just don't recall if it was here or on Vortex. unfortunatly my may need to do some searching on Concert Bass
Old 08-04-2010, 06:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

I don't have a sub in the trunk. It's two 6" woofers that come with the Audi and play the bass or midbass frequencies.
Old 08-05-2010, 05:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

I searched to try and find the answer. This site is very good source of information, but I've noticed in the vast majority of car audio in general the level of knowledge or expertise is very poor.

Quick Reply: Too much bass! Help me Jeebus! Or some one who is the product of this Jeebus.