A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Touch-up paint question.

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2000, 02:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Touch-up paint question.

Paint was chipped by a stone today. I can see a little of the primer as well as the layer underneath the primer.

1. Would my friend's touch-up paint for a 2000 silver Jetta work for my light silver A4? Are they basically the same silver?

2. Do any of you recommend Langka on a light silver?

TIA.
Old 08-21-2000, 02:53 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default About light silver touch-up and Langka, I just used both.

1. Don't guess about your paint color or hope that your friend's VW touch-up paint is "basically the same silver". If it isn't a match, it's gonna show.

2. You don't say what year your A4 is. I learned that my 99.5 actually uses the Light Silver Metallic that's designated as a 2000 color in the Audi paint code book. The 1999 color, Aluminum Silver (or something like that), is the wrong color. The difference, in codes, is just one letter -- Y7M (1999) vs. Y7W (2000). I found my paint code in my car's spare wheel well and thus confirmed that I needed Y7W.

3. Metallic paint seems not well suited for touch-up. For whatever reason, probably having to do with how the metallic particles line up and reflect the light when they're "blobbed" on as touch-up rather than sprayed on, my touch-up paint looks slightly darker than the factory paint. I'm convinced that it isn't simply the color of the paint that's doing it. The Langka website even mentions this as a likely problem when using metallic paints for touch-up -- they show up slightly darker. I never knew that before.

4. I was repairing a 4" bumper scratch, not a chip, so bear in mind that the apparent color difference is especially noticeable to me due to the size of the repaired area. A tiny chip probably won't present the same kind of (or degree of) appearance problem. For your sake I hope not.

5. Langka works as they claim it will. It removes the "blob", leaving only the touch-up paint that fills the chip/scratch. Very easy and quick to use too. In my case I can still very clearly see where the touch up paint is. No "magic disappearing touch up" here, for the reasons stated above. I'll be using Langka on my wife's Brilliant Black wagon when that touch-up paint arrives, so maybe I'll post results about that too. Anyway, my A4 does look better than it did before the touch up, and I'll probably live it for a while. But someday I'll get the bumper professionaly repainted. The heartbreak is that this car is absolutely immaculate after a year of ownership, EXCEPT for this one damn scratch on the bumper. And wouldn't you know it, it happened while my wife was driving it, and according to her while it was sitting in a parking lot. Oh well.<p>Rick
99.5 A4 1.8TQMS silver/onyx, APR v.3.0
97 A6Q Wagon black/taupe
Old 08-21-2000, 07:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thank you Rick for your detailed info (one more question)

I will order touch-up paint from Audi. I have to admit that I'm just as **** as everyone here. My baby is a 2001, picked it up almost 2 months ago. I just hope I won't wait too long for the touch-up paint. I shouldn't since it's the same light silver as the 2000.

I wish the chip is on the bumper but unfortunately it's on the driver's side fender right near the hood opening and is very visible. Around it are two very tiny chips.

One more question, I know not to use the brush that comes with the touch-up paint. What should I use to put the paint on? Thanks again.

James

2001 Sliver/Onyx 1.8TQMSX
Old 08-22-2000, 05:33 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I used a toothpick. Scrape off the first big drop and use what's left for best precision.

<p>Rick
99.5 A4 1.8TQMS silver/onyx, APR v.3.0
97 A6Q Wagon black/taupe