A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Transmission bearing.

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2011, 09:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HBAudi
When the input shaft bearing was replaced, what was the condition of the pilot bearing in the back of the crankshaft? Also, was there any damage to the gearbox casing when the bearing failed?

Documenting your work is an excellent idea!
I never changed it yet. I meant I changed the transmission. and oh yea, all the gears were pretty much shot to ****.

This is my new transmission with the same problem.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transmission bearing.

Originally Posted by MTykhnenko
I never changed it yet. I meant I changed the transmission. and oh yea, all the gears were pretty much shot to ****.

This is my new transmission with the same problem.
Did you happen to disassemble the first gearbox to inspect the condition of the bearings and gearbox casing?

Typically this type of bearing failure is caused by a misaligned engine and gearbox, foreign debris in the fluid or failure of the pilot bearing. And yes, when the input shaft bearing comes apart, the debris will damage or destroy the gears, synchroniser blocker rings and the layshaft and mainshaft bearings. Any photos you can supply will be helpful so a correct diagnosis can be made.
Old 02-05-2011, 12:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Did you happen to disassemble the first gearbox to inspect the condition of the bearings and gearbox casing?

Typically this type of bearing failure is caused by a misaligned engine and gearbox, foreign debris in the fluid or failure of the pilot bearing. And yes, when the input shaft bearing comes apart, the debris will damage or destroy the gears, synchroniser blocker rings and the layshaft and mainshaft bearings. Any photos you can supply will be helpful so a correct diagnosis can be made.
Diagnosis: My style of driving.

EG. Dumping the clutch at 6k rpm. Quick shifting. Extreme downshifting. In fact, the only part in my car that gets any sort of damage at all is the transmission. My engine has passed the 375 mark yesterday (KM), and has had NO REPAIRS AT ALL. No replacement of gaskets, pistons, valves, heads, or anything of sorts. I have had my 4 calipers seize a while ago, but then again it had salt water damage 6 years ago, and survived since then. The a4 96 is a goddamn tank.
Old 02-06-2011, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transmission bearing.

Originally Posted by MTykhnenko
Diagnosis: My style of driving.

EG. Dumping the clutch at 6k rpm. Quick shifting. Extreme downshifting. In fact, the only part in my car that gets any sort of damage at all is the transmission.......
So, there remain two distinct possibilities: change your style of driving; or become proficient at repairing/replacing your gearbox!
Old 02-06-2011, 09:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

So, there remain two distinct possibilities: change your style of driving; or become proficient at repairing/replacing your gearbox!
#2 is easier.