A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Transmission issue - PRND432 all lit

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 10:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission issue - PRND432 all lit

Hello All

Having some transmission issues with my V6 Quattro '98 A4.

Within the past few months I've noticed the Tiptronic had stopped working. After switching tiptronic on and off a few times I managed to get the gear display to show 54321 like it normally would but if I tried to shift up it would shift down (Nothing like suddenly dropping to 2nd gear with a crapload of traffic behind you).

Within the past two days I've had issues getting the car into reverse. It would go into neutral with no gear selected on the display. The first few times if I switched between P and D a few times I could eventually get it to work. I also noticed within the past week or so it seems to take it's sweet time deciding when to upshift when I'm accelerating at a more gradual rate.

Then today, after switching from R to D, the entire PRND432 display highlighted and the shift into D happened with a bit of a thunk. I also noticed the car would not go into 5th gear.

Any suggestions as to what this may be? From my research on forums and whatnot I've read similar symptoms with people pointing to the Multi-function switch on the transmission as a likely culprit. Is there any good way for me to diagnose this particular issue?

I'm looking to do any repairs myself if I can, I've dumped enough money into this thing that if I cant fix it I think I'll be looking for my next car, but I'd like to give it a shot first.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

Peter
Old 03-08-2011, 10:27 AM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

You need VAG-COM to pull codes. Also check the TCU to see if it is swimming.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:27 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

you will need Vag-Com to pull codes, if your luckly it is just the multi function switch!
Old 03-08-2011, 10:46 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ok, I've been meaning to get one of those ODBII to USB cables for a while now, ordered one off of Amazon earlier today with next-day shipping (yay prime) I'll get the codes and post em up here tomorrow.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

How much of a risk do I run driving in this failsafe transmission mode? I need to get her from work to home, about 16 miles.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

the obdII cables will only pull OBDII codes for the engine, you need Vag-Com.
but if you ordered a generic USB interface you can down load a free version of Vag-com and it Might give some insite. I don't recall just what the free version of Vag allows. I used it years ago but when I had a tranny issue that is when I broke down and bought the full version of Vag.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

fail safe leaves the car in 3rd gear. so start off slow and don't plan on driving 65mph!!
Old 03-08-2011, 11:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by jschick
the obdII cables will only pull OBDII codes for the engine, you need Vag-Com.
but if you ordered a generic USB interface you can down load a free version of Vag-com and it Might give some insite. I don't recall just what the free version of Vag allows. I used it years ago but when I had a tranny issue that is when I broke down and bought the full version of Vag.
Pretty sure it's just a generic cable:

http://www.amazon.com/OBD2-Diagnosti...9615336&sr=8-1
Old 03-08-2011, 12:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

fail safe leaves the car in 3rd gear. so start off slow and don't plan on driving 65mph!!
My A4 shop manual says default mode is 4th gear. How did you decide it was in 3rd gear--rpm to road speed?
Old 03-08-2011, 12:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'll take the back roads rather than the highway I suppose

Quick Reply: Transmission issue - PRND432 all lit