A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Transmission issue - PRND432 all lit

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 10:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

MAy have spoke too soon. Gonna try again
Old 03-13-2011, 02:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by b4k4
MAy have spoke too soon. Gonna try again
Nope, didnt work, looks like the switch needs replacement
Old 03-13-2011, 04:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nope, didnt work, looks like the switch needs replacement
Ouch, it is like a $350 part. Just had to do one on my wife's Allroad. Was PITA and took better part of a day. Hopefully the A4 will be easier.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Unfortunately I don't have as much free time as I used to, so I think I'm gonna have to let my mechanic do this job.

Having a slight issue there though, told him what I needed done, called back after they did their own diagnosing and he's trying to tell me his transmission guy says I need a new tranny, bout ready to tell him to get stuffed and go to the dealer, at least they seem to know whats up, even if they charge an arm and a leg.
Old 03-14-2011, 11:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

this is probably best to fiddle with yourself. I have found most shops will say 99% of the time you need a new tranny. 4 of the last 5 cars I bought with "bad" tranny's only need a little time and about $150 in parts.

also follow that harness up to where it attaches to the body of the car I have seen this harness wear and rub on the car, I will usually unsnap the harness from the first point it attaches to the car from the tranny and check it out. over time rubbing on the car can wear thru and cause this problem.
you could also be due for a fluid change if you are not getting any more codes. but if you are still getting codes concentrate on this harness or switch! you might need to take a OHM meter and confirm you have conection on each plug.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Told my mechanic what needed to be done specifically, gave him the part, and $300 in labour later I have a working A4 again. Wish I had the time to do it myself but that's life I suppose
Old 03-15-2011, 03:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 100 Likes on 89 Posts

So, is the trans shifting like it should now? And how about the fluid, does it have more than about 40K on it? If it's working well, it is a good thing that you weren't talked into a whole tranny job.
Old 03-15-2011, 06:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by turbo510
So, is the trans shifting like it should now? And how about the fluid, does it have more than about 40K on it? If it's working well, it is a good thing that you weren't talked into a whole tranny job.
Yeah, working perfectly now. They said the fluid looked good, though I have no major repair history beyond the time I bought the thing and it has 156k on it so I suspect I should have it changed anyway
Old 03-15-2011, 06:14 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yeah, working perfectly now. They said the fluid looked good, though I have no major repair history beyond the time I bought the thing and it has 156k on it so I suspect I should have it changed anyway
Thanks for all the help, btw, likely saved me a good bit of money and hassle
Old 05-06-2011, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for all the help, btw, likely saved me a good bit of money and hassle
hello to all, im new in this forum but i see this topic and i have something similar to this issue.

i have an Audi A4 Quattro 98 2.8 V6 and like a 2 months ago somehitng happen with the tranny,well long story short, i leave my car with the mechanic beacsue of some motoro oil licking, after i pcik it from the shop i notice that the i start having issues going from second gear to 3erd gear for some reason i have to do it change it manually to 3rd and four and also some days that neither that will help becasue my car will turn only automatic and eliminates the triptonic option and the PRND432 get highlited. and if i stop the car will take like foreever to move it only star like mving the RPM like crazy and doesnt move. any ideas? please im going crazy beacuse no one in my city now how to fix this. thanks in advance.

Quick Reply: Transmission issue - PRND432 all lit