A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Transmission noise when downshifting to slow down (more)

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2000, 09:34 AM
Dimitri

Default Transmission noise when downshifting to slow down (more)

When driving my 99.5 1.8TQMS (13k miles on it now) I have noticed that lately I get a winding noise when I shift to 2nd and slow down to turn (I have been driving stick since I was 16 so I couldn't be doing it wrong). The noise sounds like it is coming from the transmission around the middle of the car area. It comes on for the "slow down" portion of the downshift and then goes away. The car is driving great no problems at all for my whole 13k stretch and chipped since 6k miles with APR. Has anyone else experienced that noise? Is it maybe condensation, water on an axle type thing? I do have my belts squeel occasionally for 2-3 seconds if I leave my car sitting for 2-3 days without driving it.... but this is definitely not the belts.... This occurs while the car is hot and/or cold but I can't say for sure if I can recreated it everytime...

Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions.
Go Virginia Tech Hokies!

Dimitri

===
99.5 1.8TQMS //APR
Old 01-03-2000, 10:00 AM
Troy J

Default Re: Transmission noise when downshifting to slow down (more)

I am experiencing the same noise. However, I also hear the noise when accelerating in second especially when the car is cold and the outside temp is below 40deg. Are you having any problems shifting into second from first? On cold mornings my transmission is very hard to get into second gear. Audi claims they have a special transmission fluid that should correct the problem.
Old 01-03-2000, 10:07 AM
Dimitri

Default Had that problem and it was fixed (more)

Troy I also had the problem shifting into 2nd. I brought it up to Audi during my 10k check up and they told me they flushed my hydraulic fluid. Since then I haven't had a problem going into second. Just to reiterate the problem I was having then, if I took the car out of 2nd, and then tried to put it back into 2nd it would grind on me and sometimes during a quick shift from 1st to 2nd I would get a grind with the clutch fully pressed. I can happily say that I haven't had that problem since the 10k service. As for shifting into 2nd when the car is cold that seems to be common with most cars I've had. I had a 90 4-Runner and sometimes I would rev up on 1st and go to 3rd because it was really hard to grab second. Same problem was with both an 86 1.8L CIS VW Golf I had and a Digifant 1990 VW Jetta I had. I will bring my noise problem up during my 15k checkup but the car overall doesn't seem to be having a problem mechanically...
Moral of my essay here.... I'd recommend the Audi hydraulic fluid flush.

Dimitri

===
99.5 1.8TQMS //APR
Old 01-04-2000, 03:14 AM
DRF - VT '96

Default I've heard it!

I'll recommend the fluid flush to my dealer at the next service. I have never had any problem with grinding (except when I was shifting sloppy).

I have also found that adding some Virginia Tech stickers to the car have added a net gain of about +10hp each.

-Dave
98.5 1.8T - Adorned with many VT stickers today
GO HOKIES!