A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

transmission shifting problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2010, 05:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission shifting problem

2000 Audi A4 Quattro, 2.8L V6, ATQ Engine. I bought the car in Feb 2009 with 188k miles on it. Its currently at 198k
My transmission started misbehaving recently. Whenever the car is cool or warm, the tranny shifts normally in D, but once the tranny gets hot, it suddenly stops shifting. No CEL or blanking of the shift position indicator on the instrument cluster. If I then switch to the tiptronic, I can upshift and downshift it myself with no issues. As I said earlier, it only starts once the tranny is hot. Once it cools down a bit, the tranny starts shifting normally again in D.

I had the tranny oil and filter changed. The atf pretty worn, a very dark gray, sludge on pan, magnets fully loaded with shavings (nothing abnormally large). Could not get Audi atf so had to make do with Abro Premium (it’s a stop gap until the pentosin arrives in about two weeks time. Pentosin almost impossible to see in my country. Anyway, the problem is still there even after the oil and filter change.

I have a decent scan tool which I used. There were no fault codes in either the ECU or TCM. I ran a road test and by reading various measuring blocks discovered that the problem always starts at around 120deg Celsius (which as I read should be within normal operating temps). Once it drops a few degrees, the problem disappears. I also discovered that when the problem starts, what happens is that the tranny shifts to 3rd gear and stays there.
Old 09-25-2010, 11:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Harddrive2000
2000 Audi A4 Quattro, 2.8L V6, ATQ Engine. I bought the car in Feb 2009 with 188k miles on it. Its currently at 198k
My transmission started misbehaving recently. Whenever the car is cool or warm, the tranny shifts normally in D, but once the tranny gets hot, it suddenly stops shifting. No CEL or blanking of the shift position indicator on the instrument cluster. If I then switch to the tiptronic, I can upshift and downshift it myself with no issues. As I said earlier, it only starts once the tranny is hot. Once it cools down a bit, the tranny starts shifting normally again in D.

I had the tranny oil and filter changed. The atf pretty worn, a very dark gray, sludge on pan, magnets fully loaded with shavings (nothing abnormally large). Could not get Audi atf so had to make do with Abro Premium (it’s a stop gap until the pentosin arrives in about two weeks time. Pentosin almost impossible to see in my country. Anyway, the problem is still there even after the oil and filter change.

I have a decent scan tool which I used. There were no fault codes in either the ECU or TCM. I ran a road test and by reading various measuring blocks discovered that the problem always starts at around 120deg Celsius (which as I read should be within normal operating temps). Once it drops a few degrees, the problem disappears. I also discovered that when the problem starts, what happens is that the tranny shifts to 3rd gear and stays there.
I'm having a similar problem on my 1999 a4 1.8T Quattro. Changed the fluid to the same results as you have. I'm hoping that it may only be an issue of a sticking shift solenoid, but hopes aren't high... Have you done diagnostics on your solenoids?
Old 09-25-2010, 12:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

No have not done that, but i've been told that if there is a problem with the solenoids, that would have triggered a fault code or CEL. Man i sure hope that whatever it is does not require dropping the tranny.

The problem seems to be temperature related, i just dont know how. The tranny temp sensor seems to be working okay according to the readings i'm getting from the scan tool when i test drive.

I'm also beginning to think it could be a problem with the tranny computer (TCM) but its just a theory for now.