A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Transmission Woes :(

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 05:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Woes :(

Hey guys,
Crossing my fingers really tight - perhaps I can get some help for a recent audi i purchased.
A4 2000 1.8L Quattro w/Tiptronic Automatic 150k

Sunday I'm driving stepping on the gas- the car would take its sweet time to accelerate, than a CEL Light comes up blinking, park it - I have a fluid leak unaware of what it was - park it at my mechanic who later determines
Transmission Leak - Plugged and Filled up w/ OEM Fluid
CEL was P0730 = Inc. Gear Ratio

So I go look at the car, the leak is gone , sit in her and turn her on - no issues, then driving , WHAT A DISASTER! While im in D have to step on the gas RPMS jump in order to get into gear, car picks up speed. In all I drove it back to shop, a process that would of taken 5minutes with a working trans, this took 10minutes - really worrisome that someone doesn't hit me - i would say no acceleration whats so ever, the mechanic mentioned that possibly the tiptronic should work, and I may have to gear it this way - haven't tried it yet - it was rush hour, not to crazy to get into an accident.

A few other notes, at first driving is ok slightly unbearable but if i stop and drive again, the Dash PRNDS turns solid and has no indication of a gear being selected.
D is messed up, R is fine

Do I need a new transmission?
Maybe a rebuild would save me? "how much do these work parts + labor (hrs)"

Your help would help me times a million !
Thanks ,
Old 12-30-2011, 06:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 100 Likes on 89 Posts

Many mechanics don't fill these transmission correctly, leaving you with not enough transmission fluid. Before anything else, have him tell you just how he filled it. I had a "Porsche mechanic" install one of these transmissions for me, I explained exactly how to fill it, and he still blew it.

If that's not it, it could be broken. The trans in my Daughter's 3.0 broke on me Christmas eve! Used tranaxles are about $1000 and up, installation extra.
Old 12-31-2011, 04:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have the mechanic recheck fluid level and do it correctly. Since the mechanic must have a VAG-Com to properly fill the tranny level then he can also check the codes while at it. Post codes. The TCU will tell the story to someone who knows how to read it.

The mechanic may have done everything right and could be other issues. Maybe simple problem. Maybe not. Good diagnosis is needed now.
Old 01-07-2012, 07:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hey guys,
so i have the car back, there are some quirks

car drives fine, but at times i have to rev the engine to about 3k so that the transmission goes into first gear, this means no driving on hills, driving on tiptronic is great 2/3/4 gear work great!
i guess the primary issue here is the first gear and reverse are starting to go..

if i get the transmission rebuilt, how much should it cost parts and labor (how many hours) - mechanic says that pulling the trans out and putting back in is about 10 hours, are there any trans rebuild kits out there,

thanks!
Old 01-07-2012, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 100 Likes on 89 Posts

The thing is, if just slipping because of bad seals and clutches, a rebuild kit will fix that. If first and third out, then something mechanical (broken) may be the problem. You won't know until its taken apart.

Rebuild kits; yes there are but overhauling that trans is beyond what I'd attempt. Call a local trans shop familiar with these ZF units for an estimate.

I've already ordered a used trans for the 3.0 Quattro for $1040 delivered, and will be happy if it works as well as the one I had put in our Passat over three years ago.
Old 01-14-2012, 07:37 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

well besides me having to rev the engine to 3k to D or R , while im driving it feels as the trans mission jumps to 5th gear at times if i bring it to tip tronic down to 2nd gear it appears to correct it but it seems to repeat it self i kinda understand now why the P0730 code pops up incorrect gear.. now i understand some folks are saying it could be caused by incorrect fluid , but i just don't know.

does anyone have any recommendations near the North NJ area with reasonable prices - honestly don't want to spend an arm/leg to fix this.

thanks!
Old 01-14-2012, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The code incorrect gear ratio means the transmission is slipping and needs repairs/rebuild. Look to get it replaced or rebuilt by a ZF transmission shop.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Ok,
so I have looked online and found a shop

Trans Specialties in Wayne NJ about 20miles from where the car is now- pretty sure i can have my motor club tow it if i call in a breakdown

http://www.autotransparts.com/index.php

Rebuilt transmission 2286.00
Removal & installation 450.00
ATF 200.00

also mentioned
Rebuild comes with a remanufactured torque converter, full rebuild of the trans including soft/hard parts and a rebuild of the valve body. The rebuild also comes with a 1 year unlimited miles warranty.

close to $3k for this job, good deal/worth it?

Thank You
Old 01-31-2012, 06:24 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

So it's been in the shop
and it appears to be in the final stages

was quoted $2936 , they called me a few days later when they pulled the trans out and informed me that additional work should be done, parts and labor-
-Motor Mount needs to be replaced (2 MM) ($289)
-Front Axles need to be replaced ($210)
-Rear Main Oil Seal needs to be replaced ($124)
-Valve Cover Gasket; not urgent , ($222)

So Far the work is at $3781 , so i says ok do it..

Calls me on Monday, the transmission upon taking it apart is totally done, he has to use a donor transmission for the pump, and a few other parts, apparently my transmission was internally nuked lol. An additional charge of $250 , I told him to scratch the valve cover gasket as it has gone above my budget - now im off to go on my Ramen noodle diet lol..

So the work should be $3810
Total Transmission Rebuilt with Pump , Motor mount, Front Axles, Rear main oil seal.
Work should be done tomorrow.

Am I being punked or is this a decent price,,, honestly if the guy raises the price by $1 - wash my hands with the car,

Am i being way to stupid for proceeding with the repairs?

Thanks!!
Old 01-31-2012, 06:53 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Dude, I share your pain. For the last several years I was averaging $3K in repairs per year for my 2000 2.8 A4 after it hit 120K miles. After each repair bill, I would say "that's it, what else could go wrong?".

As much as it hurt not to recoup all of my repair investments, I finally bit the bullet and purchased a new 2012 A4.

I get the feeling that many here can do their own repair work. Sadly that's not a talent I possess. :-(

Quick Reply: Transmission Woes :(