A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

TROTO i got a question for you

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006, 11:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TROTO i got a question for you

First, thanks for all the help from before. As far as the CL Pump goes, i'm having a real hard time finding one cheaper than the 175.00. The site you gave me i went and requested a quote on a couple of them but its been like 3 days and no reply. The 175.00 one though has a 6 month gaurantee. In your opinion should I just get that one, i tried asking around local autoplaces if they knew in the dallas area of where i could find one but no one could really help.

Also is the CL Pump synonymous with anything... like a vacuum pump or something? (yes i am newb.)
Old 02-24-2006, 02:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default You'd be better off calling the junkyards. The central locking pump could be considered

a vacuum pump, theft/locking pump or other things to a junkyard that deals with many makes and models of cars. You may want to just call some local junkyards from your phonebook first. Try asking for the Central Locking Pump and if they are clueless just describe where it is located and what it does (Vacuum pump located on the pass side of the trunk that controls your locks and security.) Give them a part number for yours.
It's up to you if you want to spend $175 for one, but I'm sure you can find it somewhere cheaper. You're not 100% sure that this is your problem.
All of the junkyards on car-part.com seem to have websites with phone numbers (prices range from ($35 - $185) so call them up describe the part and give them the part number. If they have it, ask about guarantee and shipping charges to determine if the $175 deal is the best way to go.
Old 02-24-2006, 06:34 PM

Default OKAY HUGE PROBLEM JUST CAME UP TONITE

Okay i'm not sure if this has to do with the CL Pump or not (if it does this would be crazy ironic that this is happening right now). But I went to the movies tonite and halfway there my check engine light starts blinking and my car shakes like its about to stall. It still shifts gears etc.. and i just checked the oil earlier this week....

What's weird is the dash console (with the outside temp display) all of a sudden started working again (still kinda pixelated and crappy) but it has been completely off when driving for the past prol 9-10 months... and now it shows signs of life...

Anyways i got my car to my apartment and i'm gettin worried about what the problem could be... any ideas?
Old 02-24-2006, 07:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default pretty sure that the 3 issues are unrelated...Although the locking pump controles a lot

of stuff other than just locks, it should have nothing to do with how your car runs or your information display. A blinking CEL (check engine light) is not good and should be diagnosed immediately. Causes for this could be serious or simple and the easiest (possibly only) way to find out what is wrong is with a VAG (computer diagnostic software and cable) You can try to post a new thread in this forum or try to find someone in the regional forum that is in your area that can help you out. Lots of people have the software and cable (including myself) on these forums. Otherwise, your only way to figure what is wrong is by searching the forums and guessing, or take it to a dealer or audi / vw mechanic. I think AutoZone may be able to run a scantool also but am not sure what kind of information it will provide.
Post a new thread with the new issue you are having (runs bad and blinking CEL) and ask if anyone local with a VAG can help to diagnose it.
Good luck...
Old 02-24-2006, 09:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Random comment:Just to tell you that the previous owner spent over $1600 to replace the CL pump...

$800 for parts and just about the same for labor. OUCH!! I still have the reciept sitting in the glovebox. That guy got ganged raped by the stealer!! Just a random..i'm tired after work so nothing makes sense comment.
Old 02-24-2006, 09:59 PM

Default Re: pretty sure that the 3 issues are unrelated...Although the locking pump controles a lot

okay i'll make another thread in the morning if i can't figure it out... raining to much outside to go check. hopefully i can find an autozone, closest one i know of is in plano like 35 min away (dunno if car will drive that far, shakes pretty hardcore)
Old 02-24-2006, 10:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default you know the car? He has a water leak that should be addressed before purchasing another

pump. otherwise he'll be doing it again soon...those thing aren't cheap.
Old 02-24-2006, 10:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default seriously, ask for a forum member in your area...there may be one close by. Most

people here are eager to help someone out it seems. Mention your year/engine and location in the thread. There is also a VAG locator thread somewhere that lists the people that have the tool and where they live. I don't know if you should drive too far in its current state... maybe another parts place has a free scan tool service.
Rain / water may have something to do with your current problem BTW (by the way).