A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Is it true that Audi owns Lamborghini??

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2002, 05:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it true that Audi owns Lamborghini??

I remember reading about this a while ago in some car magazine, so I think I know the answer to my question. So, does this mean that if I buy a Lamborghini, I am really buying a $250k Audi?? I mean, how can they still call it Lamborghini if it is owned by Audi. Shouldn't they combine the names to symbolize their ownership?? If Audi owns Lamborghini, that would mean that Lamborghini is out of business, and that Audi is in business. If Audi owns the company, then why aren't Lambos running around with four rings on their hoods and quattro systems?
Old 02-23-2002, 05:19 PM
AudiWorld Expert

volkswagen owns it, so there sister companies !
Old 02-23-2002, 05:20 PM
JCF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default You're not very bright are you?

Hmmm... lets take Ford for example. Ford owns... besides Ford of course, and the all too obvious Lincoln and Mercury... the ones off the top of my head are Aston Martin and Jaguar. So by your logic Aston Martins and Jaguars should have blue ovals on them? I don't think so.
Old 02-23-2002, 05:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

VW owns Audi, Lamborghini, Bentley, Bugatti, and other european car companies
Old 02-23-2002, 05:39 PM

Default I guess you are right, It just seems funny that VW would own Lamborghini- why dont they own...

Ferrari too. And while they're at it why dont they own every Auto company.
Old 02-23-2002, 05:41 PM
JCF

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ain'tTHAT funny. I think it's stranger that Ford owns Aston Martin.
Old 02-23-2002, 05:44 PM

Default yeah, that just doesnt make sense to me. It would make me feel weird buying an Aston Martin knowing

that it is owned by godawful Ford.
Old 02-23-2002, 06:08 PM

Default Nah, I wouldn't feel weird at all buying an Aston Martin...

make that a Vanquish.

and besides, here's some more pertinent logic...

Let's say if I owned YOU, I still wouldn't call YOU my bitch. It would me make me look bad.

=P
Old 02-23-2002, 06:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Similar example: AMF bought Steinway Pianos. Hmmmm.....Steinway owned by bowling ball company.
Old 02-23-2002, 06:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default To remain competitive in the global economy, car companies are consolidating...

this is because consolidation offers significant savings, due to economy of scales, purchasing power, leverage with suppliers. This trend can be seen in the defense industry as well. It is the ability to compete globally which will dictate whether a car company will be able to exist in the next century. That is why GM is currently negiotating to acquire a Korean company...to extend global reach and manufacturing. This was the same reason Mercedes-Benz acquired Chrysler.

Understand that ownership under a global brand brings substantial savings even in lieu of engineering and parts sharing. When a merger goes to the second stage, the savings can be enourmous. For a comparison, look at the next-gen European fighter and frigate programs...development costs are being shared among multiple nations.

Here is, off the top of my head, the ownership interests:

GM:
GM and its subs (Buick, Chevrolet, Pontiac, GMC, Cadillac, Saturn, etc)
Saab
Controlling interest in Isuzu
American General (makes the HUMVEE, Hummer)

Ford:
Jaguar
Volvo
Astin Martin
Ford (Mercury, Ford, Lincoln)
Land Rover
Controlling interest in Mazda

The only independent makers are BMW, Porsche, Ferrari. Lotus and Lambo tend to bounce around..VW currently owns Lambo.

VW is a large German company, but not a global player as of yet. There is some debate over its future...i think that VW and Fiat would make fine partners, but that would only solidify their European presence, and not extend their reach into the growing Asian market.

Cheers

Quick Reply: Is it true that Audi owns Lamborghini??