A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Turbo Lag after chip ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-1998, 04:22 PM
Michael Yu

Default Turbo Lag after chip ?

I am thinking of installing an oettinger stage 1 chip. Turner advises me to include fuel regulator to combat against the turbo lag after the installation. He also suggest larger/better brakes to handle to increased horsepower/speed.<p>Are these necessary or is he just trying to sell me more than I need? Thanks
Old 12-27-1998, 04:38 PM
Ron

Default Re: Turbo Lag after chip ?

I would suggest that you place your tuners advice on hold. I would be curious to know why they would suggest changing the fuel regulator?
Old 12-27-1998, 06:46 PM
vic

Default Bigger brake not needed unless...

Michael,<p>There's absolutely no needed to change to a bigger brake unless you are into crazy midnight dash in the NT at 3am. The stock unit is more than enough. I had stage 2 and never ever felt under-brake, and in our driving environment here you'll be hard press to go over 100km/h.<p>I also has the fuel regulator under his recommendation. I don't know how useful it is but it's suppose to sharpen the response by quite a bit. He's also charging quite a lot for it too.
Old 12-27-1998, 08:09 PM
Ned

Default Re: Fuel presure regulators

<br>Fuel pressure regulator is a good idea when it comes to larger turbos, as for lag, it really wont help, its actually more of a safety issue at higher rpm's with more boost.
Old 12-28-1998, 12:23 AM
jon

Default Re: Turbo Lag after chip ?

let me guess... the suggestion came from a tuner in HK which also claims 300 hp using the K04 and running more that 2 bar of boost on their Tiptronic A4 TQ.... Most people will tell you that a fuel pressure regulator has nothing to do with solving the problem of turbo lag...
Old 12-28-1998, 07:30 AM
Joe M

Default A second opinion....(long)

I would definetly recommend installing bigger brakes, but not just as a result of the "chipping". I have a 98 A4 turbo, and Im not that pleased with the braking capabilities. Braking from higher speeds = fading very quickly. But as Vic above says, if you arent able to go much faster than 100kph, I would not see the need for a bigger system. Im talking about the lower 200kph range.<br>I know most people think the stock brakes are really good, and I also think its good in comparison to other cars. Its not better than the brakes on the new 3-series though. I also think your driving style and tires/suspention may have something to do with how good you think the brakes are. I have 225/45ZR17" summertime, and sport suspention (-20mm).<br>Currently Im only at 150 HP, but when I increase HP, I WILL be getting a bigger brake system with time.<p>But to answer your question, there is no NEED to install bigger brakes. However, I would not be able to enjoy the car to the fullest, if I didnt have more efficient brakes along with more power, but these are all just MY opinions.<p>Joe M<br>98 A4 Avant T