A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Two light switches in door jamb / door?

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 11:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Two light switches in door jamb / door?

All of my doors activate the overhead lights no problem, but most of the time when I open my passenger front door the red door panel light nor the footwell light under the glove box come on, I figured out the overhead lights are activated by the latch mechanism itself inside the door, what triggers the footwell/red track lights?

(red lights work fine on all 3 other doors)

thanks!
Old 05-30-2007, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default So the overhead lights activate when open door? Possible those lights are burnt out?

Although I know seems rather unlikely that both would burn out. A quick look inside my door jam yielded nothing. My guess is that there is one sensor which probably sends two signals. One for the overhead lights, and one for door/floor light. Maybe the part that goes to door/floor is damaged or shorted? Removing the door panel is pretty easy (although can be a pain to line the lock up while reinstalling). I'd remove the door panel and maybe look at the wiring inside the door. See if you can see anything. Writeup for door panel removal is in tech section, either interior or electical, and the actual article is for replacing front door speakers. good luck
Old 05-30-2007, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default footwell/red door light work sometimes, overhead always...

will have door panel off for regulator replacement tonight, will check it out more throughly
Old 11-14-2007, 03:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Two light switches in door jamb / door?

I think I have the same problem with the front passenger door red light and footwell light. Opening that door will turn on the overhead lights (I usually have them set to off anyway, but I set it on auto to test it out for a few days and it works as it should) and also opening that front pass door will chime the chime once which I guess is normal, but that footwell light and red door light don't work.
I actually planned on looking at it one day and check the bulbs and whatever else but when I opened the door the lights came on, so I just kinda stood there and thought well must not be the bulbs, and then I haven't see the lights work again since that day.