A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Two strange issues on new A4..pls help

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-1999, 09:29 AM
Jeff Keller

Default Two strange issues on new A4..pls help

My car has 2100 miles on it now, and I've noticed two strange things lately:<p>1) I hear this high pitched whine sound, that seems to be coming from the left side of the car. It's kind of a ringing sound, and i notice it on the highway.. but only certain areas (it's not constant). This may be the same thing as the other guy who posted today.. but I'm not sure.. any ideas?<p>2) I noticed a white powder on the windshield, and also on the hood, right in the trajectory of the washer nozzles. is this just the dried up washer fluid? Is there anything I can do about this?<p>Thanks in advance for the help-- this site is the only reason I'm driving an A4 instead of an Accord ;-)<p>- Jeff<br>99 1.8TQMS, silver
Old 02-22-1999, 09:58 AM
Matt Daniels

Default Some thoughts

1) Maybe it's the turbo that your hearing? Just thought I would mention it, I'm not expert.<p>2) I'm guessing that it's wax in the washer nozzles that got sprayed accross the car when you used the washers. <p>Matt
Old 02-22-1999, 11:56 AM
Rich

Default Re: Two strange issues on new A4..pls help

Jeff--<p>You've obviously followed the threads on the noise more than I have, but are you sure it's not wind noise of some sort (only happens in some areas..). If you're thinking it's not wind noise, take someone from the dealership for a ride where you can reproduce it most faithfully. Don't let the mechanics just look at it, they'll say something like "it's performing up to spec"..<p>Also, I've also noticed some of the white stuff from the nozzles..I think it has to do with the potent stuff Audi puts in for washer fluid. See if it goes away once that's gone and you've replaced it with "normal" washer fluid.<p>Rich<br>'98 2.8Qsport
Old 02-22-1999, 12:21 PM
EP

I got the same noise! I hear it on the right though, and only at about 65-70 mph. It seems to coincide with me stepping on the throttle, but that could be associated with the speed. Anyway, it's a little annoying, but I might mention it to the dealer at my 3000 checkup. I have a '99 2.8q tip., all op's but trip comp and sport seats.<br>
Old 02-22-1999, 01:15 PM
Whatzat

I have heard the same sound on my Avant (non-turbo). Unfortunately (or fortunately, perhaps) it is very sporadic, so dealer won't necessarily hear it. There were earlier posts, way back, on this issue, but I don't recall any disposition.
Old 02-22-1999, 01:34 PM
Stu Koch

Same noise here...this is getting strange... 99 2.8
Old 02-23-1999, 07:16 AM
Nick A.

I have heard the same noise from the right side since I've owned the car. Have no idea what could be causing it but plan to bring it up to my dealer at the 7500. I have a '98.5 2.8 Q - please e-mail directly if you dealer finds a cure (I'll do the same). Good Luck!
Old 02-23-1999, 08:47 PM
cool craig

Jeff,<p>cool silver machine!! Pics are cool!!<p>as for the sound, turbo...maybe, wind noise...maybe, bad belt, maybe, intercooler hose, maybe.<p>Please post any solutions on this as I hear strange things too: wind noise on drivers window top, groan under hood at 2-3K rpm<p>As for the white stuff, the OEM fluid is something like 75-85% IPA ( iso propl Alcohol) When it dries it may have a tendency to leave a white residue -- do this to your skin and you may see the white residue, which is probably a stabilization agent or other 'proprietary' element of the OEM fluid. <p>Good eye though, hope I never park next to you at a concours event, hate to get some of my brake dust on your shiny hood and windshield!!<p>just kidding.<p>-cool<br>98 A4TQms