A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Unable to connect with OBDII scan or VAGCOM

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2013, 02:32 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unable to connect with OBDII scan or VAGCOM

I'm having a weird issue. Basically when the car is off but the key is in the on position I am unable to read my codes with my OBDII scanner or VAG COM. It gets power but it will not connect, says link error.

But when I turn the car on I am able to connect just fine. With VAG COM the connection between certain modules seems finicky. When trying to go in 01 engine, it will connect get all the information, but then it will freeze up and say "too many communication errors to continue"

I've tried disconnecting my ABS, removing my aftermarket stereo, charging my battery, checked all fuses.

The issue I'm trying to resolve:
I have a p1545 cel code for throttle body malfunction, I'm trying to do a throttle body allignment with vag com but I can't

Car details
1998 audi a4 1.8t quattro
Aww swap from 01 jetta
Big turbo setup
More info upon request
Old 09-27-2013, 03:24 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by eppsilan
I'm having a weird issue. Basically when the car is off but the key is in the on position I am unable to read my codes with my OBDII scanner or VAG COM. It gets power but it will not connect, says link error.

But when I turn the car on I am able to connect just fine. With VAG COM the connection between certain modules seems finicky. When trying to go in 01 engine, it will connect get all the information, but then it will freeze up and say "too many communication errors to continue"

I've tried disconnecting my ABS, removing my aftermarket stereo, charging my battery, checked all fuses.

The issue I'm trying to resolve:
I have a p1545 cel code for throttle body malfunction, I'm trying to do a throttle body allignment with vag com but I can't

Car details
1998 audi a4 1.8t quattro
Aww swap from 01 jetta
Big turbo setup
More info upon request

You seem to have data BUS issue here. I have not heard of any test for that one. Garages would take the different ECU's and check them on another car because they have several at hand any time and if the controllers are read elsewhere then J533 is the problem.
Old 09-27-2013, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

So the network is being brought down, it can be a from a failed module. Any module on the bus line that shorts directly to ground brings the system down, i would start by unplugging each control module one at a time untill you can communicate with something. I have had body modules and climate modules fail and cause the whole bus line to stop working. Good luck.
Old 08-31-2014, 08:12 AM
auh
AudiWorld Newcomer

Did you solve this. I'm having same non connecting obd2 issues on my 98 aeb
Old 04-15-2021, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Possibly Problem

If you own any B5 chassis or the year range VW product you will know they have major ABS Module problems. Mine included, same issue you all are having. After hours trading wires checking power/ground it was as simple as removing the ABS module connector immediately connected to the scan tool. Hope this helps!