A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Unable to Start - No Turnover

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 02:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unable to Start - No Turnover

Hiya,

I just replaced the ignition switch thinking it was the part that was preventing the car from starting, and it was definitely broken, however the car still won't turn over. The previous owner replaced the starter about a year ago, so I don't want to jump and replace that until I possibly find out more answers.

After replacing the ignition switch the steering wheel became locked, which it didn't do previously. I'm wondering if that may have something to do with the car not starting?

The battery works, lights and all other electronics work fine.

It's a manual, and I am depressing the clutch pedal, but I also read somewhere that maybe the neutral detector (Or whatever device in a manual checks to see if the clutch is depressed) could be broken. Wondering how to test this...

Before the new ignition switch was put in the key was VERY difficult to get in. Now it easily slides into the lock cylinder. Also, when the key was turned all the way it wouldn't spring back after release. Now it turns all the way, then once released it will not go back to the "start" position without first turning the key back to acc/off from "on", which I'm guessing is normal. Just figured I'd toss that out there to provide as much info as possible.

also: Audi A4 1996 2.8l Quattro

edit: added year

Thanks,
James
Old 09-23-2008, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

What year is the car.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:33 PM

Default Re: What year is the car.

D'oh, always forget something >_>

Old 09-23-2008, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I don't think you have a starter inhibitor switch.
Old 09-23-2008, 05:49 PM
Joey T

Default I told you last night...

Begin at the starter. I would guess the switch stuck, keeping the starter engaged, and now you need a new starter.

Jack car up. Probe small wire on starter solenoid with test light. Have assistant turn key to "start" with clutch depressed. Light will light up. Replace starter.

Light does not light up. Figure out why. You do *not* replace parts without testing to diagnose and then verifying diagnosis.
Old 09-23-2008, 05:59 PM
I was lost, now I'm found

I believe you told someone else
Old 09-23-2008, 06:43 PM
Joey T

Default Well, that guy didn't listen either.

maybe.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:08 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default diagnostics does not include a "TEST LIGHT"

Use a DMM. test lights dont tell ****!
Old 09-23-2008, 07:22 PM
Joey T

Default Uh huh.

We have a low amperage draw solenoid here. A test light will do just fine Mr. Clymer reader.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:54 PM

Default Re: Well, that guy didn't listen either.

Was definitely someone else. And how can I not listen if I haven't even read it yet o.0;

I was hoping to have other suggestions first that may not require jacking the car up. It'll need to be towed to test the starter as it's currently on grass at the previous owners house, and not yet moved to my paved driveway.

Quick Reply: Unable to Start - No Turnover