A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

On an unrelated note, my BG rep told me the BG trans fluid is OK for our cars.

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2006, 11:49 AM
Joey T

Default On an unrelated note, my BG rep told me the BG trans fluid is OK for our cars.

Even says right on teh box that it meets the specs Audi calls for.

Any of you other slushbox guys use the BG flush machine on your Tiptronic cars?

Obviously, I can get the BG stuff at a fraction of the Audi stuff.
Old 05-16-2006, 12:02 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default BG, as in the makers of BG 44K?

I'm curious too, since I have a tranny flush on my to-do list.
Old 05-16-2006, 01:22 PM
Joey T

Correct
Old 05-16-2006, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Also believes in Santa.Its"Recommended for"rather than"Meets"spec.Can you find a less reputable rep?

BG...umm. ok.
Old 05-16-2006, 04:24 PM
Joey T

Default Sorry, I will read the box again. I *think* it said "meets or exceeds"

Meh.

And I thought I was an *******....

Old 05-16-2006, 06:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Forgive my skepticisim, but BG w/petrol distilate flush for dumb-*** motorheads doesn't meet LT71141

Rather than BG, you might as well just dump in plain old Dexron III, that's what their product likely is...or just use Mobil 1 ATF even though it's FM is not actually correct for ZF LT71141. More likely a product scientificly formulated and tested specificly for the LT71141 spec from a reputable blender like Valvoline would be more likely to produce a good result.

THOMAS R. SMITH
Technical Director, Valvoline Brand
June 7, 2004

To Whom It May Concern:

Valvoline has received several inquiries regarding the topic of MERCON V ATF and its use in various vehicles beyond those requiring DEXRON-III, MERCON, or MERCON V approved products. In response to these questions Valvoline has issued the following statements:

Valvoline supports the use of MERCON V ATF in a broad range of transmissions beyond those requiring DEXRON-III, MERCON, and MERCON V fluids including those where the following fluids are recommended:

o GM DEXRON II
o Allison C-4
o Chrysler ATF+3 or ATF+4 fluids
o Toyota (and Lexus) Type T, T-III or T-IV fluids
o Mitsubishi Diamond SP-II or SP-III fluids
o Hyundai
o Honda ATF-Z1 fluid (except in CVTs)
o BMW LT71141 or LA2634 fluids
o Nissan Matic-D, Matic-J, or Matic-K fluids

MaxLife ATF is recommended for the new 5 and 6 speed transmissions, except the Ford 5R110, Ford 6RXX, and the Mercedes Benz W7A700 (7G-TRONIC) which all require a low viscosity Automatic Transmission Fluid.

Valvoline has conducted in-house testing to support MERCON V ATF performance in these transmissions. However, it is important to note that these vehicle manufacturers have neither evaluated nor approved MERCON V ATF.

Valvoline stands behind all of its products, including MERCON V ATF. Use of MERCON V ATF in transmissions where recommended by Valvoline WILL NOT void the vehicle?sup>TMs warranty. In the unlikely event that any transmission was to be damaged as a result of the use of MERCON V ATF,
please contact Valvoline at 1-800-Team-VAL.

Valvoline does not recommend MaxLife ATF for use in continuously variable transmissions (CVT?sup>TMs) or in automatic transmissions where Ford Type F is recommended.

Sincerely,
Thom Smith
Technical Director
Valvoline Brand

verses:

BG Universal Synthetic ATF
BG Universal Synthetic ATF is the superior choice to use in *all* passenger and commercial automatic transmissions. It provides excellent protection of gears and offers superior thermal stability, anti-wear protection, outstanding oxidative stability, foam resistance and corrosion control, exceptional low temperature fluidity, and excellent shear stability to ensure a long service life.

Note: No warranty is expressed or implied.

Valvoline does warranty their products performance when used in applications they recommend.<ul><li><a href="http://www.bgprod.com/products/transmission.html">http://www.bgprod.com/products/transmission.html</a</li></ul>
Old 05-16-2006, 07:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Some questions for the BG Rep...

Here is the description of their MOA Additive-

BG MOA®
BG MOA® prevents oxidation and thickening of engine oil under even the most severe stop-and-go, high temperature driving conditions. It fortifies all qualities of engine oil to provide superior long-lasting engine protection and helps maintain optimum engine performance. BG MOA® keeps piston ring belts, hydraulic lifters and other engine components clean to help extend engine life and reduce costs of operation. It is compatible with both synthetic and petroleum-base oils.
The Thin Film Oxidation Uptake Test (TFOUT), ASTM Test Method D4742, proves BG MOA's remarkable resistance to oxidation by more than 200% longer than six major brands of SL quality oil. At the conclusion of the API Sequence IIIF Engine Test, a major brand, high-quality reference oil barely passed the 80-hour test with a viscosity increase of 255 percent. At 80 hours, another brand of oil fortified with BG MOA® had a viscosity increase of only 57 percent. At the conclusion of the triple-length, 240-hour test, it was still well within the viscosity limits with an increase of only 198 percent.
Part No. 110 11 oz. (325 mL) can

I'd respect them more if they just said "It's stuff you pour into your engine".

...but they go on about the TFOUT Test, claiming how much better it does than MOTOR OILS. Hello, it's a super-concentrated ADDITIVE and THICKENER with add levels that far exceed what is allowed in the API SL MOTOR OILS it's compared to. They sould compare it to other oil additives and boosters, not strait SL motor oil. Jeesh.
They go on to explain that "a" brand of oil barely passes the ASTM test (like it is supposed to) while ANOTHER brand of oil with MOA did slightly better. (+198% vs +255%) Umm, a DIFFERENT BRAND of oil??? Not exactly apples to apples. Another point of contention would be the apparent lack of any API certs on their motor oil or diesel-ratings on their (supposed) HDEO.

I don't want to spend all night on this, but you get the idea. Their lack of MSDS info is also troubling. Hard to glean any further info if they do not provide basic Material Safety Data Sheets. I would not trust their "Universal" ATF any more their I trust their solvent flush or oil additive which both correctly compare to STP and Kerosene.