A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Update#2:Operation "Install MP3 Player In Trunk"

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2001, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update#2:Operation "Install MP3 Player In Trunk"

Operation "Install MP3 Player In Trunk"

Mission Statement: to install a hard drive based MP3 player in trunk of 2001.5 A4 and play via CD changer cable.

Update #: 2
Mission Status: Green

Steps Required For Completion of Mission:
1. research: complete (info available on AudiWorld and FunMP3Players.com has been harvested and processed)
2. procure adapter to interface with pre-wired CD changer harness: complete (Blitzsafe adapter arrived today and its functionality was confirmed with a Rio portable MP3 player)
3. procure MP3 player: in process (Neo35 has been ordered) ***UPDATE***: according to the UPS website: due to arrive June 13; will be the new version of the Neo
4. procure storage medium: complete (20GIG IBM Travelstar notebook hard drive received from Egghead.com last week)
5. procure power supply: complete (power inverter purchased; plan will be to wire into fuse #27 and use the power inverter to clean the signal and provide capacitance; will plug Neo into inverter using AC adapter; i.e., I will be going from DC to AC to DC); ***UPDATE***: tonight I ran a power line from fuse 27, under the console, under the rear seat and into the trunk; will likely use a noise filter instead of inverter
6. install: power line installed; MP3 player install on-hold pending completion of step 3
7. post pics on AudiWorld: in process (have old-fashioned camera with actual film - therefore need to take all pics and then get them developed)
8. pay credit card bill: status: deferred.
9. enjoy 400+ CD's worth of music: status: on-hold pending completion of step 6 (but not 8!)
Old 06-12-2001, 05:48 PM

Default Which Blitzsafe Adapter did you use?

And how does it work?
Old 06-12-2001, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Which Blitzsafe Adapter did you use?

It is a "custom" Blitzsafe adapter (i.e., it is not mass produced and not advertised on their website). You have to call them and ask for the "Audi Aux Input Adapter For MP3" adapter. Ira seems to be the contact person - I spoke with someone but don't know if it was Ira or not. They charged me $89 (to be paid in advance by postal order). A lot of money, but then they have a monopoly and it is a hand made part.

One end of it plugs into the pre-wired CD changer outlet in your trunk and the other end is two RCA jacks (left and right). You plug these into your MP3 player (or whatever). Then you selelect "CD Changer" from your stereo head unit and the music plays through.