A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

update 4: overheating

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2006, 09:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default update 4: overheating

background:
1998 A4 2.8 Q. Year ago did 60k mile service, timing belt,water pump, thermostat, cam seals. Immediately after water temp guage routinely would meander above "noon" (straight up) where it never had before in 7 years. Summer rolls around and A/C cuts out in ~80F weather. Replace water pump, viscous coupling (thermocoupling that engages the mechanical fan), the thermostat. Winter comes, going up hill in 10F blowing snow at 45mph water temp guage goes to the 2nd major tick mark and coolant overheat light comes on. Replace thermostat again, and the water temp guage. All are OEM parts. Water temp guage still pushes 2nd tick mark but doesn't quite get there, on uphill climbs.

Yesterday the radiator was replaced. Problem still is happening where water temp guage goes to 1.5 ticks. It does it everytime I stop at a red light. And does it seemingly randomly when driving at a consistent 60mph speed on the highway. Up to 1 tick mark, down to "noon", up to 1.5, down to noon, etc.

So everything related to the cooling system has been replaced. WTF is going on???!! Help!
Old 01-26-2006, 10:05 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default overheating

Have you checked the coolant temp sensor($8) at the back of the head and the secondary fan sensor($30). The two should have been replace when the rad is done. They are both trouble makers. Both are easy to replace DIY.
Old 01-26-2006, 10:26 PM

Default Re: overheating

coolant temp sensor has been replaced three times. secondary fan sensor i haven't heard of, so i don't know what that is. there is a thermostat that has been replaced twice which is basically just a valve that controls the flow of coolant. cold coolant, closed valve. warm coolant, partially open valve. hot coolant, open valve.

however the mech says he confirmed both the mechanical and electric fans are working correctly. yet when i'm at a stop light with windows down, i can hear a "click" in the viscinity of the fuse box and the electric fan comes on and then 3 seconds (literally not more than 5 seconds) another click and the fan goes off. so maybe there is still some issue here as i haven't heard this mentioned (even though I've mentioned this clicking thing and 3 seconds of the electric fan being on several times he hasn't sounded like he's concerned with it)

but even if both fans weren't running, i don't get how 60mph of airflow won't cool this car properly. i'd think the fans are irrelevant at that speed.
Old 01-27-2006, 02:55 AM
Joey T

Did you use OEM or aftermarket thermostats?
Old 01-27-2006, 04:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Maybe the radiator

I don't think its a fan issue at those temperatures, because at 10 degrees, your car should not be that hot, even if the electric fan was off and the clutch fan was weak. I think maybe the radiator is completely clogged up, or there is a blockage somewhere in the cooling system. Has it ever had leaks? Have you ever used "stop-leak"?
Old 01-27-2006, 04:55 AM
WJM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default did you check the temp with VAG?

it maybe that your instrument cluster is wacky
Old 01-27-2006, 05:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Default 3 second run time for an electric fan is way to short,

Find a new mechanic if this doesn't alarm him..
or at least a second opinion.

HTH!
-Richard
Old 01-27-2006, 05:12 AM
WJM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

also are you sure you reconnected all the temp sensor cables properly?
Old 01-27-2006, 05:41 AM
Head Cat Herder

Received 85 Likes on 48 Posts
Default Who did the work? Did they bleed the coolant properly? There could be blockage in the block too..

how is the heat in the cabin?
Old 01-27-2006, 06:40 AM
Joey T

Default ^^^^^^^^ANSWER ME ^^^^^^^^^^^

Quick Reply: update 4: overheating