A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

update on my rear-ended month old car, plus impressions of saab 9-5 (long)

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2000, 07:51 AM
Elder Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default update on my rear-ended month old car, plus impressions of saab 9-5 (long)

Well, for those of you that care (and didn't flame me last time..), I thought I'd post an update on the repair progress...

The other guy's insurance, Farmer's, has been great about getting things moving quickly, and taking care of a rental car for me almost same day.

My car, only a month old, was rear-ended by a delivery truck going about 15 mph (I was stopped). The rear bumper was split, right tailight blasted out, and trunk lid bent. I'm not hurt, and luckily, the air bags didn't go off. When I took it into the dealer's body shop, the manager said I was lucky that the truck was so high up- it limited most of the damage to the bumper and trunk, as opposed to the rear-qtr panel or undercarriage.

Well, it was declared 'undrivable' on the spot, and after a few phone calls, I discovered repair costs (paid for by the other guy) would total over $3500. That's replacing the parts, plus having to straighten out the deck to get the trunk lid to fit snugly. Hopefully I'll have it back next week sometime.

In the meantime, I've been driving a 9-5 as a rental car. I'm sure that the A41.8 isn't exactly in the same class, so a direct comparison might be meaningless. But I thought I'd offer my impressions to this board anyways.

Weird layout on the interior! It took me a long time to get used to it. Ignition is down near the parking break, along with window and door lock controls. The dash is slightly curved for the driver's convenience. It took me awhile just to figure out the lights and foglights!

The leather is wonderful- leatherette on my non-sports seats just isn't quite as good. For a larger car, the handling is quite decent, though clearly no comparison to my 1.8. Especially in the rain we've been having in Seattle.

Engine I think may be bigger, but it's not as 'peppy' as the 1.8 (I'm stock). Without turbo, the acceleration just doesn't cut it.

I could keep going on, but in short, I'll conclude with this. The 9-5 really grows on you, but I'm dying to get back behind the wheel of my baby and do some REAL driving.

Peace.
Old 10-10-2000, 09:01 AM

Default Why do people feel LUCKY that airbags DON'T go off when rearended?

Getting rearended won't deploy airbags. Why do people think they'll go off?

Airbags are for FRONTAL collisions, and if so equipped, SIDE collisions.
Old 10-10-2000, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Ummm, all 9-5s are turbocharged as is every SAAB