A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

UPDATE: For those that I promised!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-1999, 05:40 AM
Alan Adamson

Default UPDATE: For those that I promised!

All,<p>I picked everyone's brains over the last couple of weeks to determine if I had a sensor problem or a programming problem that was leading to a really high boost condition in a K04 setup on my car. I figured I'd provide some feedback. I'm not complete on my assessment, but I'm pretty confident. So, here goes.<p>As some of you know, I have one of the first K04 setups cars around. I've had the 04 on there for now about 16000 miles. For the most part, it's been OK, but just OK. I kept getting updates to the programming for the chip, but on each time, I'd end up with a chip that would make 18-22lbs of boost and I'd of course have detonation at those high boost levels. Not where you would think that being at high rpms, but more right as you mashed the throttle. Of course this was caused because the boost would come on soooooo fast (it's pretty amazing with the 04) that the ECU couldn't react quickly at the extreme pressure and so you'd detonate until it could. I could fix this problem by installing a Profec to limit the boost, I ran this way for awhile and may go back to that setup, it was even more awsome than the chip, but that's another story for another time.<p>I struggled with this until a few more vendors got product out and I could do some trial testing.<p>About a two weeks ago, I decided to see if it was a sensor that was slow to react or something else that was causing this over boost condition. I had it on pretty good information that it could be. One way to do that was to see if anyone else was having this problem. As it turns out there are a few of you that are running chips that are getting more boost that you are suppose to. I've found at least 4-5 with my limited musing on this web page. Not that I have the answer, but I do have some arm wrestling with a certain vendor to do over this issue as it seems it shouldn't be.<p>I've pretty much proved to myself that it wasn't a sensor. I did get a new "frequency valve", not cheap either, but I didn't even install it. I got even luckier.<p>I found a guy on this site, who will remain nameless for now (course you could figure out who he is if you search the postings), that had the same ECU as I, the same K04, but with neuspeed/greedspeed programming. I convinced him to let me borrow his ECU. It was actually easier than that as his A4 that it was in was in pieces, but then that again is another story.<p>I got the ECU dropped it in, and found the solution. I had much more normal boost levels, very similar or maybe just a smidge better power, but the range was much smoother. Most importantly, the rate of rise of the boost wasn't as great and my detonation was gone.<p>I've got some numbers, but until I'm convinced I've got this solved I'll hold back.<p>Bottom line, my over boost condition was not caused by a sensor, it appears to have been caused by programming. I've learned a ton more about programming that I thought I knew about the A4. First, if you are lucky enough to have an M or N ECU, you will probably get it right the first time with these chip vendors. If you have the dreaded P box. Well, expect a little more difficulty. It seems that P cars can't take as much timing as M and N's so they have to remember to do the programming to pull out some timing. It appears not to hurt the power, but as I've found out, you get detonation if this isn't done. It appears that in the beginning, when the 98's came out they had P boxes on the Q car. Chip tuners didn't get it right in the beginning. Now it seems they've figured it out. So, rule number 1. Go with a chip tuner that provided free updates. There is one exception to this, but until he get's his neuspeed setup and lets me know if it resolved it, well use this as a baseline.<p>Rule #2, don't play guinea pig as I did. Wait until these chip tuners get the product to market.<p>Ok, now I'll really summarize. The neuspeed programming has cured my over boost problems, I can't detect any detonation and the power is probably a smidge better than what I had.<p>For those curious. I have the following, engine related that is.<p>1.8 T<br>extrude honed exhaust manifold<br>K04<br>Samco hoses all around (just in case)<br>Stock CAT<br>Bosch racing plugs (there just plain colder and a good thing to run in high boost conditions)<br>BB triflo exhaust including the downpipe<br>Remus muffler, twin tipped<p><br>My next changes are...<br>High flow CAT<br>New plugs (there due!)<br>Intercooler change (I have the TAP intercooler that is about 40% more efficient, and about 40% more surface area for better cooling and flows better, best part, it fits in the stock location!)<br>I may go back to the Profec, you'd have to experience it to understand why!<p>Not that any of these changes should give me more power, but they might. Cooling the air charge should, the Cat might. Bottom line it should just clean everything up, make it the most robust and allow for the best cooling.<p>I'm sure more will follow!!!<p>Alan
Old 01-05-1999, 07:28 AM
MT atl

Nice update Alan, but the intercooler is made by Spearco and is cheaper to buy through them instead of Ivor.
Old 01-05-1999, 09:33 AM
Edmund L

Default Wow...and all us old-timers on the board thought your car blew up. Glad to hear it's running fine!

ha
Old 01-05-1999, 10:10 AM
Alan Adamson

Default Re: Nice update Alan, but the intercooler is made by Spearco and is cheaper to buy through them instead of Ivor.

did you guys figure out the price and part number, I know it's made by spearco, but I wasn't sure it could be purchased through them? I left it that they were going to see about getting the price and part number. Remember, I traded for mine :-)<p>Alan