A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Upgrades to a 2V 2.8 quattro (long)

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-1999, 05:42 PM
SteveG

Default Upgrades to a 2V 2.8 quattro (long)

I'm new to this board, so forgive me if this topic has already been asked- but what types of suspension, engine and wheel/tire upgrades has anyone made to the 2V 170 hp, 2.8 quatttro?-chips, intake, airbox, springs, shocks, sway bars, etc. IMHO the car could definately use some more umph and less roll in the corners. My 4 yr. lease is up next spring and I am debating whether to keep my creampuff '96 (only 35k miiles), invest in some performance upgrades or order a new car at higher cost. I'd prefer to keep the '96 if I can obtain some some satisfactory performance tweaks as opposed to buying a new car. I'd love to consider the awesome S4 but since the A4 is only my winter driving machine (I run a well tweaked 2.8 Z3 from spring to fall), the S4 just doesn't make economic or practical sense (you can't REALLY drive it in a Minnesota winter-unless you're a pro or nuts, or both). Should I look to find a used 5V 190 hp 2.8? Is the performance difference that noticeable? Thanks for your help.
Old 08-10-1999, 06:47 PM
JT

Default Steve S. can surely make some recommendations! Steve.....?

You mean 2V per cylinder for a total of 12 valves, right? Not to be too much of a technoweenie, but I belive that engine has 172 horse, right? =) There is actually a article in the latest "quattro quaterly" on upgrading a 2.8 12V. See if you can get your hands on it, or talk to the "Mack Daddy", Steve. S! He'd be glad to help! Oh, one more thing...welcome aboard! You just found the best A4 resource available, anywhere! =)

JT '99 1.8Tqmsx, MTM Stage 2, A!, Mintex
Old 08-10-1999, 08:59 PM
Steve S.

Default Been there ....done that....(details inside)

I have gone about 2/3rd as far as you can go on the 96/97 2.8L car....Cathleen is the one that is breaking new ground on this....but see the link below for pics and info on my car's modifications. I think I did pretty well. My corners pretty well...it just doesn't accelerate as fast as I would like....hence the order of a new S4 is in my very near future. Ask anyone that has seen my car...its not bad and can usually hang in there with most 98/99 2.8 30V cars on the track...

Steve S.
97 2.8QM
With lotz-o-mods<ul><li><a href="http://www.a4.org/gallery/red3.shtml">My info in the gallery section on this site</a></li></ul>
Old 08-10-1999, 10:10 PM
stanj

Default Steve's car is fine, but...

I got to drive Steve's car on the track in Pahrump for two days after wrecking mine (thanks, Steve). Because it was not my car and I had my ditching experience freshly imprinted in my memory, I didn't push it, but for what it's worth...

I have a chipped 30v qms (they say 205hp). I am quite sure that in pure performance, my car could outaccelerate Steve's. On the other hand, Steve's car feels more balanced, as in, the power comes everywhere, while mine car starts above 3500, and then I could get away from him. I think on the straightaway downhill in Pahrump I could get faster in mine.

What handling is concerned, I would say that the sport suspension is maybe a bit softer than Steve's modified one, but not by much. But then I didn't really push Steve's car for obvious reasons.

Bottom line - it looks like the modifications to the 2.8, be it a 12v or 30v, are quite limited, but unlike others around here, I still prefer the 2.8 over the 1.8T. So if you have a 12v that you like, I'd say keep it rather than buying another used 30v, as the advantages will be minimal.

Will be with Steve on the track this Sat, so maybe we will get some real comparison out of it :-)

- Stan
Old 08-11-1999, 06:26 AM
randall

Default depends on what u are planning:

There are a bunch of changes to the new ones that I like, which have nothing to do with the engine:
interior lights,
alarm and remote changes
concert stereo
Trip computer (not available when mine was out)

How much power do u want?
Personally in a few years I am thinking 98.5 30V and supercharge. S4 will KILL me in insurance, of that I am sure.

If u only want mild improvements, there is stuff for the 12v.(over to Steve, Cathleen). I perfer
bolt on, and thats where the upgrade paths differ.
The 12v requires cams, throttle body, head work, etc to get going. I would rather bolt on a PES, and sell it separately when I ditch the car.

1996 a4 2.8 qm (BONE STOCK!?!?)
Old 08-11-1999, 02:28 PM
Cathleen

Default Are you a Quattro Club member?

The reason I ask is that I was wondering if you were attending the Quattro Club Nationals at Road America held late September in Elkhart Lake, WI. You aren't too far being in Minnesota. I'm coming all the way from Michigan again.
I'll be there with my modified 2.8 12v ('96).
List includes (but not limited to):
Engine- 12v upgrade consisting of Schrick perf. cams, ported heads & intake, filter, etc.
Suspension- Custom coilovers (Custom-valved Koni shocks with custom rate Hypercoil springs)
Brakes- Big brake kit (Alcon B-type 4 pistons, Coleman 13"x 1.25" and all hardware)
Body kit and lots of stuff.
The car is a joy to drive. It has noticeably more power than stock....I drove a stock 12v a couple weeks ago at an event (a student's car) and then hopped in mine for my session. Major difference.
I'd be glad to let you test drive the car (on the street that is ;-) ) if you go to Road America for the event. Possibly, if you are registered in the event I could take you for a ride on track, as well. My e-mail is above if you are interested.
-Cathleen
P.S. - There is also an article about my car in the summer issue of the Quattro Quarterly for more details on its upgrades. Cover has my red A4 on it.
Old 08-11-1999, 05:32 PM
Steve S.

Default Cover Girl?...Cathleen?...I got my copy today (along with my C&D and MaxSpeed Mag)

U be faymus ! Congratz! Now if we could just get your butt (and Todd's of course) out here for an event, we'd be cruisin cool.

Steve S.
97 2.8QM
Old 08-12-1999, 06:30 AM
Cathleen

Default A trip to Cal. would be great....

The only problem is the amount of time it would take to trailer the car(s) across the U.S. None of us can afford to be away from work quite that long. Road America isn't quite so far, so we'll be there for sure, this fall.
I'm still sad about missing Monterey. :-( Too much going on right now.
-C.