A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Upgrading Suspension...

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2001, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upgrading Suspension...

I just got my 98 1.8T, and I must say I love the car. It has quite alot of power for a 4 cylander, and it will be even better once I get a chip in there.

However, one thing I am disapointed with is the handling, I bought used and thus took the best deal I could get, which happened to be a FWD without sport suspension. I wanted to know what the best route I could go for upgrading my suspension without blowing alot of cash. Another concern is that I don't want to drop my car TOO low, as I'm prone to bottoming out, no matter how hard I try to avoid it, and I rather enjoy not having to worry about scraping bottom every time I go up or down an incline.

So can someone reccomend a good way to get a decent suspension for cheap? I know I could find a used sports suspension, but it seems hard to find one for FWD models. I have also heard good things about using the Eurosport Springs with Bilstein HD shocks (not too low of a drop), but I'm not sure if that would give me the performance I'm looking for (and would be no cheaper than going all out and going Bilstein Sports). Also, how much should I expect to pay an installer to put the set on?

Does anyone know of any good online-sellers that sell these parts for good prices, or are there any group buys for suspension upgrades going on in the near future I should be aware of?

Thanks for answering all these questions...

Jordan
Old 02-04-2001, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Check out the pix of my car (click my sig)...

I have H&R Sport/Bilstein Sport. It a bit lower than factory sport, but not too low. I have never bottomed out on speed bumps or driveways. I also added the factory sport sways. This also made a huge difference over the non-sport sways.

As far as where to get springs/shocks...www.shox.com has some of the lowest prices around. Check with Audi enthusiasts in your area for a good place for install. Install+alignment should run ~$400 and up. I ordered the factory sport sways from www.clair.com.
Old 02-04-2001, 07:04 PM

Did your front drop a little after some time/miles? my front seems too high!
Old 02-04-2001, 08:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Try this

Koni sport shox and H&R sport springs. Slightly stiffer than the Audi sport setup. Not too low.
You could probably substitute Bilsteins and get the same result. Also the Koni coilovers are a steal and offer more adjustability. Sounds like you just need to stay away from any "race" spring set ups.
Shox.com is the best place for pricing last I checked. See if they can recommend an installer in your area. Your best deal may be to let the installer sell you the shocks/spring and do the install. (The installer can make a few bucks on the parts and subsidize the install price)
Good luck