A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

UUC Short Shifter Impressions...(long).

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2001, 02:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default UUC Short Shifter Impressions...(long).

(This is the same message that's a reply to another posting)

First off, I had a performance parts shop here in Columbia, SC install it. They have done a number of short shifter installations (primarily for mustangs), but after glancing at the directions, determined that it would be no problem. One guy took about 45 minutes to install. Charging me for 3/4 of their hourly rate, I paid 43.00 to have it installed.

First off, there definitely is a difference in the weight of the shifter. It feels much heavier, purposeful maybe, than stock. Looking at the shifter now, when the car is in neutral, the shifter leans towards the driver more than stock. I'm not sure why that is, maybe just how the guy put it in (any other folks notice this?). BTW, I like the feature.

To be honest, I cannot see but a modest decrease in the lenght of the "throw" of each shift. However, it appears that the gear shifts "engage" much quicker than before. This is the most impressive change. Whereas before when I changed gears, it seemed like there were times when I wasn't sure if I had pushed the shifter far enough to engage the next gear; with the SS, it's "click", into the next gear. It's a great feeling that has put a smile on my face often.

Another difference seems to be the spacing between the gears. With the stock shifter, the spacing between the gears seemed a lot larger. With the UUC, they seem to be closer together, so there's less travel horizontally between say, 2nd and 3rd or 4th to 5th than before. This too leads to a sportier feel. It takes some getting used to, especially when engaging reverse. Before you had to move the shifter far to the right to get reverse. Now, that distance is shorter, if you try moving to far to the right, it's difficult to get reverse. I'm sure after a while, it will once again become second nature (I've been living in the stock world for 3.5 years).

Some "complaints", if you will, are as follows. Occasionally, it's really difficult to engage first gear. This may be a combinations of factors: transmission and SS. Before, it could be difficult to find first sometimes. Combined with the increased weight of the SS, and you see my point. However, you can use the various methods of getting it into gear (putting it back into neutral, etc.)and then it engages.

Also, there is some horizontal "play" when the car is gear. By this I mean, when the car is in, say, third gear, you can move the shifter around a little without taking it out of gear. Some folks have spoking about this and said the Neuspeed shifter doesn't have this problem. I cannot speak for the Neuspeed, so I'm not at liberty to say. However, I didn't notice this play in the shifter for sometime and must say that it in NO way affects the way the shifter changes gears. More of a aesthetic issue than anything else. Some of the more compulsive among us may take greater issue with this. (BTW, I'm pretty compulsive, myself). *grin*

So my overall impression of the UUC SS is that it's a very nice and not too expensive modification. It definitely livens up the driving experience and takes a lot of the "slop" out of the stock shifting. It's especially nice when blasting on to an entrance ramp and running quickly through the gears. I'd recommend it to anyone with a manual transmission.

Phil
98 2.8 QMS Santoring, Loaded
S4 Xenon
Euro Tail Lights
Blaupunkt Toronto and Changer
RS-4 Grill
GG Foglights
Nokia 7800 Handsfree
UUC SS
Waiting on Remus (ordered from SPP)
Planning on wheels and suspension
Old 05-31-2001, 04:33 AM
WJM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you shouldnt have any problems finding 1st gear.... the installation may be a little off
Old 05-31-2001, 05:58 AM

Default The installation is definitely off...

when installed correctly, the problems you speak of should not exist.

The shifter should sit straight up and down in neutral with third gear directly above neutral and fourth gear directly below.

From what you describe I think there is one bolt that needs adjusting. The bolt that connects the horizontal piece of the UUC Shortshifter to the transmission linkage. It just needs to be loosened. While loose, the shifter needs to be set perfectly vertical and held there by another pair of hands while the bolt is tightened back down.

It took me a couple of tries to get it right (with someone else holding the shifter), but now my shortshifter is perfect, and has none of the issues you describe.

Take it back to the place where you had it installed and ask them to adjust it in the manner I described.

Good luck.
Old 05-31-2001, 04:34 PM

Default Thanks for the input...I'll look into it tomorrow.

Driving with it in this position will not harm the car, will it?

Phil