A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

UUC short-shifter installed on my '00 1.8TQMS...Impression and installation. (very long)

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2000, 03:51 PM
DougR

Default UUC short-shifter installed on my '00 1.8TQMS...Impression and installation. (very long)

I got my UUC short-shift kit this weekend! I haven't read of any other '00 owners who have made the mod yet, so I wanted to post my impressions and some installation instructions.

What a great modification. So far, in 2 days of driving, I *really* like it. The shifts are much more solid, and the slop is gone. It does feel like a reduction of 20% (which is what UUC states.) I suppose it's also an increase in effort, but stock is so little effort that the change hasn't been noticeable. Before I wasn't comfortable trying to make very fast shifts; now I am. My immediate thought, as I've read from others on the board, is why didn't Audi make it this way to start with? The stock unit is very cheap looking plastic; the UUC unit is milled out of a solid piece of stainless steel. It's a work of art in its simplicity, the way the pieces fit together, and the thoughtful enhancements. I can't stress enough the fine craftsmanship of this kit. UUC has done a tremendous job. The added heft feels good. My only concern is that the socket that the [now] stainless steel pivot ball sits in is plastic. I wonder how the two different materials will react at different temps? Also, will the added heft "beat up" the plastic socket? I've been told by a very trusted mechanical engineer/car guy not to worry though - and he's a worrier about that kind of thing.

The installation is straightforward, but was difficult for me. (I am terrible with a wrench though and was still able to manage it - with help.) It's pretty much the same installation that the S4 guys have to go through, rather than the easier one for prior year A4s. The two most important pieces of advice I have for installing it are first, read every word you can find from the postings on these boards. The directions that matthewk, Tom A., and Silver S4 in Littleton posted about their S4 installs was invaluable. UUC's installation instructions are complete, but brief. Also, the photos are not specific to the '00 cars. My second piece of advice is to get someone to help if you can. Some of the steps are MUCH easier with another pair of hands to help.

Without further ado, here is what I did to install the UUC short-shift kit on a 2000 A4 1.8TM. The UUC kit is identical for 1999.5 A4s, but I have no idea if the install is the same. Standard disclaimers apply - if you attempt this mod, you do so at your own risk. I can't be responsible if you screw up your car! I'm just going to skim over the stuff that is the same as the S4 install - check the archives for that.

Tools:
- ratchet (I used both 1/4" and 3/8" drives)
- socket extension (3 or 4")
- 10mm socket
- 2 10mm wrenches (to be used at same time)
- 6mm hex-bit for socket wrench
- medium size flat-head screwdriver
- 1/8" allen wrench (thanks for supplying this UUC!)
- snap-ring pliers for a large *external* snap-ring.
- I did *not* need a universal joint for the socket wrench, although I had them available
- A roll of paper towels

1. Remove shift ****.

2. Remove shift boot.

3. Remove console cover.

4. Remove foam insulation. It's held in by 2 10mm nuts, one in front of the lever and one behind.

5. Remove the evil snap-ring/circlip/c clip (whatever you want to call it.) This is a big clip surrounding the shift-lever and holding the mechanism down. You want to squeeze it together until it pops out of the slot that it is recessed into. I proved that I'm not man enough to remove this with needle-nose pliers. So, using snap-ring pliers I bought at Sears (thanks for the tip Silver S4 in Littleton!) and the flat blade screw-driver I eventually got it out. Note that on the 2000 A4 this is the only snap-ring to worry about. It seems that on the S4's there's a small internal one too.

6. Remove big metal washer that lives under the snap-ring. It just lifts out.

7. Remove black rubber washer/cover thingy that lives under the big metal washer. Once you do this, the whole shift lever, including the ball and socket arrangement, moves up and down freely in the black plastic frame that is permanently attached to the car.

8. Detach shift mechanism from chassis and from transmission linkage by removing the 2 bolts at the front. The upper one connects the mechanism to the chassis, and the lower one connects it to the tranny linkage. Use the 6mm hex bit to remove both. Noting their relative position before removing them will make the reinstallation and alignment a breeze.

9. Now, in my opinion, the toughest step. Remove THE BOLT at the bottom of the stock lever using whatever combination of 10mm wrenches, sockets, and pliers you can handle. I got the 10mm box-end wrench around the bolt on the left-hand (driver's) side, and turned the nut on the right-hand side with the 10mm open-end wrench. The shift lever was all the way back (thus pushing the short piece at the bottom all the way forward.) This is tedious but doable. I was unable to get a socket onto either side. Having 3 or 4 hands *really* helps here.

10. Pull out the stock shifter.

11. Remove the plastic socket (that the ball rotates in) and another black rubber washer thingy from around the stock shifter. The socket just snaps off the ball.

12. Remove THE BOLT from the UUC shifter. Note that the allen-head goes on the right-hand (passenger's) side.

13. Attach the stuff from step 11 onto the long vertical piece of the UUC shifter.

14. Drop the UUC shifter into the car and attach the 2 pieces with THE BOLT. This is the reverse of steps 9 and 10 above, and I think it's easier. I used the 1/8" allen-wrench that UUC supplied to hold the bolt in place on the right (passenger) side, and tightened the nut on the left (driver) side with my 10mm open-end wrench. Once again, having 3 or 4 hands *really* helps.

That's all the hard stuff!

15. Reattach the shifter to the tranny linkage and to the chassis with the 2 6mm hex bolts. Adjust for taste (fore-aft position) and function (all the gears engage?)

16. Reinstall black rubber washer thingy, big metal washer, and snap ring.

17. Reinstall foam insulation with the 2 10mm hex nuts.

18. Snap console cover back on. I've chosen to leave the clips off until I'm 100% sure on my lever positioning.

19. Put boot and **** back on.

You're done! Well, sort of.

There's a big black rubber piece that lives near the top of the stock gear-shift lever. As far as I can tell, its sole purpose in life is to give the top of the shift boot something to rest on. Anyway, I can't figure out how to remove it from the stock lever to move it to the UUC lever. The UUC lever has been engineered to accept it. Aesthetically, it'd be nice to be able to move it, so if anyone has an answer??? Rob at UUC is looking into this for me. The part number is 8D0 711 188, so I guess I could just order it from Audi...

I hope that helps somebody! Fire away if you have questions or comments. I highly recommend this mod, and I had fun with the install. Both Ben and Rob at UUC were very responsive to my queries and concerns too.

DougR, '00 1.8TQMS, UUC!
Old 02-21-2000, 05:00 PM
PatM

Great post Doug, would make a good FAQ. I will be using these directions very soon..
Old 02-21-2000, 05:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just installed mine tonight on my '97....

...picked it up from Todd down at Air & Water Enterprises (AWE) this afternoon. Took me exactly one hour to install, and I was taking my time. Followed the directions and didn't have any problems although the directions don't really mention anything about adjusting the shifter after the install.

It seems to me that the linkage (where it mates up to the rod in the car) allows for adjustments (front-to-back and also side-to-side) I just kind of set it up in the middle and everything seems OK as far as the shifts go...but I do notice a small amount of free-play (forward and back) in the shifter when the car is in neutral. Not sure if it was there before the install or not. I suspect that I need to make a minor adjustment to get rid of that free-play. But once it's in gear, the free-play disappears so it's not really an issue. Perhaps I'll email UUC to see what they say.

Overall, the shift feel is very nice. More "mechanical" feeling with a slight "click" as you shift into the gears. Shifter throws do seem reduced somewhat although I can't say if it's 20% or not. Don't get me wrong, I like the shifter so far (only had it in for 1.5 hours at this point) it just doesn't seem like it's as big of a reduction as I was expecting based on what I've been reading on the A4 and S4 Forum. Anyway, I like it and I suspect as I get more seat-time with it I'll appreciate it even more.

Andy Hedin
'97 A4 1.8Tqms, Garrett, Borla, Abt, UUC, E-Codes
Old 02-22-2000, 07:33 AM
Paul Clowser

Default What made you decide on UUC? Did you consider Neuspeed? (more)

I hate the push-down reverse thing with the stock shifter. I wouldn't mind so much if it didn't push down EVERYWHERE in the shift pattern. Does the UUC shifter change this at all?

I have heard Neuspeed removes the push-down, but the shifter is actually shorter (the **** is lower). I guess this results a shorter throw, but raises the effort and changes the placement of the shifter. Did you consider it? Anyone tried it?

Paul Clowser
98.5 1.8tqms
Old 02-22-2000, 07:55 AM
DougR

Default I'm not sure how much side-to-side adjustment you get...

...my first try was way off and I couldn't get the lever into 5th or reverse. It was easy to adjust though. It looks like you might have considerable leeway in front-to-back positioning by playing with both of the adjustment bolts, although I haven't dug in to try this yet. Maybe this weekend...I'd like to move the whole thing *back* a little bit so that 1st, 3rd, and 5th aren't such a reach.

I haven't noticed any free-play in neutral - wait, let me rephrase - I haven't noticed a difference from stock. One thing to look for: the top adjustment screw (6mm hex,) really has to be cranked down. Could it be sliding a little bit?

DougR
'00 1.8TQMS, UUC
Old 02-22-2000, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I didn't really consider Neuspeed....

...nothing personal but I'm not a real big fan of Neuspeed's products. Also, I didn't want the lowered shift-**** height. Plus, AFAIK, their short-shifter isn't available yet. And I have to admit, the UUC short-shifter was a bit of an "impulse" purchase for me as I was down at AWE for something else and Todd told me about the short-shifters. Once I held it in my hand I knew I had to have it ;-)

This UUC short-shifter does retain the push-down for reverse but they have another version for newer A4's that does away with that "feature". Not sure if that would work in your 98.5 or not. Probably best to ask UUC or one of their distributors directly.

Andy Hedin
Old 02-22-2000, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I think I may be mistaken....

...there is definite free-play in neutral (shifter can go forward and back a little bit). This problem has either:

A) Been there all along (even when stock) and I never really noticed it until I focused my attention on the shifter.

B) Or it's due to me not installing the shifter correctly.

There is no way that the free-play is part of UUC's shifter, as it's totally solid and tight.

I'm leaning towards (A) as all the gears feel normal. I don't have any trouble shifting into or out of any gears, the shifter sticks straight up when in neutral so it seems like I got lucky on my first try and it's adjusted correctly. Once the car is in a gear, the shifter doesn't have any free-play.

So I think I'm OK.

Andy Hedin
Old 02-22-2000, 09:47 AM
alan t.

Default Andy, is the installation done entirely from in the car or do you have to go underneath. I installed

one of these on a '96 bimmer and you had to go under the car on ramps and it was very tight working between the drive shaft and the shifter. I'm glad I don't have huge hands.
Old 02-22-2000, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Totally in the car.......

....nothing underneath to disconnect or fiddle with. It's really a pretty straightforward install.

The directions did mention that you should have a flexible four-claw "pickup" tool handy. I was debating about purchasing one prior to my install but I was too impatient and did the install without it. (I still should buy one for the future...they're handy to have). I had one moment where I dropped one of the allen-bolts and I nearly had a heart-attack....luckily it didn't really go far and I was able to move it with a long screwdriver and then I reached in and grabbed it. For a second there, I thought I was SOL.

Andy Hedin
'97 A4 1.8Tqms, Garrett, Abt, Borla, UUC, Euro Lights
Old 02-23-2000, 08:42 AM
alan t.

Andy thanks for response..Have fun with new shifter!

Quick Reply: UUC short-shifter installed on my '00 1.8TQMS...Impression and installation. (very long)