A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

VAG tool questions...

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2002, 10:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VAG tool questions...

I hear that if you swap out ECU's (example: chipped ECU for non-chipped for warranty work), the ECU will kick back error codes? They said to use a VAG tool for the codes.. What will the VAG 1551/2 tool do, how do you use it, and how much does it cost?
Old 06-17-2002, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Don't think so. VAG-COM will clear codes though..see link.

I don't have any first hand experience though... this is just what I've heard. It seems like a great price for what you get.

Some dealers are "chip friendly" maybe you don't have to swap your ECU. Investigate yours. My dealer is cool...I never had to swap ECUs.<ul><li><a href="http://www.ross-tech.com/vag-com/index.html">Linky</a></li></ul>
Old 06-17-2002, 10:43 AM

Default so what will happen if i change out ECU's?

i understand that you have to put the key in the ON position for about 2-3 minutes....then what supposed to happen? engine starts and away you go? no codes in the Driver display? no warning lights, etc?
Old 06-17-2002, 10:48 AM

Default Yes .. but any ECU that is powered off will store a low battery DTC. That can be cleared by the Vag.

The 2-3 mins is for the throttle adaption .. but it doesn't really take that long. A few seconds and you're all set. I just wait till I've reset the "Safe" on the radio.
Old 06-17-2002, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Sorry.. I don't know... repost this for the evening crowd...

maybe they can help. Did you search the archives? I've never had to swap mine because the service manager was cool about the chip.
Old 06-17-2002, 10:53 AM

Default OK, i'm dumb...DTC?

is this a warning light or does it show up in the drivers info display?
Old 06-17-2002, 10:56 AM

Default Re: Sorry.. I don't know... repost this for the evening crowd...

i've been searching the site...found some good info. just wanted to repost and see what else comes up....thanks! i just called my dealership...first thing out of his mouth after i said i may chip my A4 was 'oh boy'..
Old 06-17-2002, 11:03 AM

Default trouble code ... It depends on what the DTC is as to whether is tosses a Check Engine Light (CEL)

The battery too low DTC will not appear on the display .. There are different levels of DTCs . .some toss immediate steady CELs, some toss immediate flashing CELs, etc. take a look at the following link to get an idea of the codes ...
this is a searchavle dB of DTCs ..
http://www.s4biturbo.com/dtc_search.cgi<ul><li><a href="http://www.bentleypublishers.com/tech/audi/dtc.table.htm">http://www.bentleypublishers.com/tech/audi/dtc.table.htm</a</li></ul>
Old 06-17-2002, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default When you swap ECUs, you can use the VAG tool to clear the loss of power DTC...

... but the readiness codes will take a few days of driving to clear themselves and this is something the VAG can't do. The the dealer can tell that the readiness codes are not set and might wonder what happend, just tell them you diconnected the battery or something and you'll be fine.

The VAG tool can do a lot more, and is useful and a diagnostic tool and to set certain codes that you may want to play around with.

Kirk
Old 06-17-2002, 12:27 PM

Default Re: When you swap ECUs, you can use the VAG tool to clear the loss of power DTC...

so that's all that really happens when you switch ECU's? not too bad. my dealership put the fear of god in me when i asked if they're cool with chipped ECU's: not covered one bit, we can tell if its been tampered, turbo's can cost up to $8000, won't be covered, blah, blah blah. To verify: it's OK to swap an ECU, drive for a few days to clear out any codes, then take it into a dealer without them really know the ECU was swapped? no other 'computers' in the car to give away info? sorry for all the ??'s, i guess i worry too much.

Quick Reply: VAG tool questions...