A4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi A4 produced from 1995-2001 B5 FAQ

Valentine One Question

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2002, 02:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valentine One Question

I'm going through the great Passport 8500 / Valentine One debate. I am really leaning towards the V1, but something I read on their website concerns me:

"WARNING: V1's Radar Locator depends on the rear antenna having an unobstructed view back through the interior of your car. Metallized films on side and rear windows will confuse the Radar Locator."

This is directly off of their site. The report specifically mentions some cheaper Wally-World brands. I don't remember exactly what brand of tint I have, but I had it done at a reputable shop for about $250. It was the nicest (most expensive for whatever that is worth) that they offered. It was called Titanium something or other. I had %35 put all the way around so the tint is not especially dark. Does anyone here have any comments on there experience using the V1 with "metalized" tint? Or, is the metalized tint they refer to something different that the higher end window film used at most shops? Also, if anyone would like to talk me out of the V1 and into the 8500, I am open for suggestions. I am always up for saving a hundred bucks. The only reason to shell out the extra $$$ for the V1 is the arrow feature. Beyond that, I am under the impression that the 8500 is just as good for radar detection and that nothing can provide adequate Laser protection.<ul><li><a href="http://www.valentine1.com/lab/MikesLabRpt1.asp">V1 comments on metalized tint</a></li></ul>
Old 06-17-2002, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Metallic tint affects all detectors, not just the V1
Old 06-17-2002, 02:53 PM

Default Granted, but...

I was just wondering if the directional arrow functionality was hurt in any noticable way.
Old 06-17-2002, 02:56 PM

Default unfortunately .. i'm pretty sure you've got 'metallic' tint

i specifically asked for non-metallic when i had my car tinted. didnt want to deal with any interference with my v1.

po-po warning is far more desirable than a bad *** tint job imo. the v1 has saved me more times than i can remember.

given your situation .. hrm. find out exactly what your tint is composed of before jumping into any radar purchase.

you dont know what youre missing until you've experienced independant front vs rear warning indicators.
Old 06-17-2002, 03:01 PM

Default the way i see it ..

you would loose some rear effectiveness ... and front approaching signals may bounce around the cabin resulting in 'ghost' rear detections. (??)

the side detection would probably result in 'ghosts' as well.

find out what v1's return policy is .. try it out.
Old 06-17-2002, 03:10 PM

Default Yeah, I think the return policy might be the way to go.

Kinda sux to have to shell out the money to find out though. I was hoping someone could chime in and tell me how wonderful their V1 worked with their metalic tint and I wouldn't have to worry about it. I think V1 has a 30-day trial period but I don't know if I trust my own judgement. When I buy something like that, I don't know if I could admit to myself that it didn't work as well as I hoped it would. Of course my motivation would be return it, get the 8500 and save the extra cash for beer.
Old 06-17-2002, 03:17 PM

Default the extra $$$ you save from not getting pulled over will buy you far more beer in the future. =)

where are you located? i've got an older generation v1, non-metallic ting .. perhaps we can do some comparisons.
Old 06-17-2002, 04:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default don't worry about it

Pretty much any tint worth a **** that has a lifetime warranty has metallic particles in it, but the majors names like Llumar, 3M, Solarguard, they all know how to make tint and they make excellent tint that has minimal effects on radar detectors.
Old 06-17-2002, 05:15 PM

Default guess what, an 8500 will suffer the same effects, not just a v1

I'd get non-metallic if I were you. Some may say the good tints don't cause the reduction of effectiveness, but I have yet to see proof of it, or for that matter even claims of this from the manufacturers themselves. If your concerned about losing effectiveness, don't go metallic, it's that simple.
Old 06-17-2002, 05:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Peace of mind from knowing where the radar is comming from: priceless

Quick Reply: Valentine One Question